Surface Dynamics of a Coastal Area off Ancona (Adriatic Sea)
In the framework of the PRISMA 2 programme, an HF Coastal Dynamics Applications Radar (CoDAR) has been utilized starting in July 1997, in order to identify surface frontal structures characterizing the Italian coast of the Adriatic Sea and to study the surface circulation, which plays a fundamental role in heat and momentum transfer processes between coastal and offshore areas.
Near-surface currents in the coastal area between Ancona and Senigallia derived from the shore-based HF radar have been mapped at weekly intervals at a resolution of 1.5 km over an area of approximately 30 × 30 km.
Preliminary results show a southeastward (i.e. alongshore) coastal jet that extends its influence as far as 10 km from the coast; farther offshore a cyclonic eddy, with a diameter of 10–20 km typically occurs. This circulation can occasionally be reversed showing an anticyclonic eddy that forces a northward coastal current with a far less energetic signature.
KeywordsCoastal Current Anticyclonic Eddy Cyclonic Eddy Surface Circulation Ocean Surface Current
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Artegiani A, Azzolini R, Moretti M, Vultaggio M (1980) A first survey on the Ancona coastal area currents. Ann Ist Univ Navale 49–50:151–160Google Scholar
- Bracalari M, Salusti E, Sparnocchia S, Zambianchi E (1989) On the role of the froude number in geostrophic coastal currents around Italy. Oceanol Acta 12:161–166Google Scholar
- Budillon G, Paschini E, Russo A, Simioli A (2000a) Primi risultati codar sulle correnti marine superficiali nell’area anconetana. Proc AIOL, Vol XIII(II): 23–32Google Scholar
- Budillon G, Grotti M, Rivaro P, Spezie G, Tucci S (2000b) Physical and geochemical transports along the Ancona coastal area (PRISMA-2 Project). This volumeGoogle Scholar
- Crombie DD (1955) Doppler Spectrum of Sea Echo at 13.56 Mc/s. Nature 175:611–682Google Scholar
- Fernandez DM (1993) High-frequency radar measurements of coastal ocean surface currents. PhD diss Stanford UnivGoogle Scholar
- Franco P, Jeftic L, Malanotte Rizzoli P, Michelato A, Orlic M (1982) Descriptive model of the Northern Adriatic. Oceanol Acta 5: 379–389Google Scholar
- Lipa BJ, Barrick DE (1983) Least-squares method for the extraction of surface currents from CODAR crossed-loop data: application at ARSLOE. IEEE J Oceanic Eng OE8: 226–253Google Scholar
- Malanotte Rizzoli P, Bergamasco A (1983) The dynamics of the coastal region of the Adriatic Sea. J Phys Oceanogr 13:353–373Google Scholar
- Mazzoldi A, Dalla Porta G, Gasparri A (1999) Misure di correnti costiere superficiali mediante radar costiero HF. Proceedings XIV Congr. AIOL XIII(1): 1–10Google Scholar