Ultrasound Contrast Agents
With the advent of new ultrasound contrastspecific scanning modes, the clinical potential of ultrasound contrast agents has been widely enhanced and the efficacy has been potentiated. Ultrasound contrast agents are based on microbubbles with a diameter of a few micrometers. Their efficacy was previously described mainly as echo enhancers for Doppler signals, and by enhancing the reflectivity of blood, the signal-to-noise ratio for Doppler signals can be enhanced and a clear Doppler trace may be obtained in otherwise difficult to scan patients.
KeywordsContrast Agent Doppler Signal Ultrasound Contrast Agent Myocardial Contrast Echocardiography Ultrasound Contrast Medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agati L, Funaro S, Veneroso G, Volponi C, De Maio F, Madonna MP, Fedele F (2001) Non-invasive assessment of myocardial perfusion by intravenous contrast echocardiography: state of the art. Ital Heart J 2:403–437Google Scholar
- Barnhart J, Levene H, Villapando E, et al (1990) Characteristics of Albunex, air-filled albumin microspheres for echocardiography. Invest Radiol 25:162–164Google Scholar
- Cohen JL, Cheirif J, Segar DS (1998) Improved left ventricular endocardial border delineation and opacification with OPTISON (FS069), a new echocardiographic contrast agent. Results of a phase III Multicenter Trial. J Am Coli Cardiol 32:746–752Google Scholar
- Leen E, Angerson WJ, Yarmenitis S, Bongartz G, Blomley M, Del Maschio A, Summaria V, Maresca G, Pezzoli C, Llull JB (2002) Multi-centre clinical study evaluating the efficacy of Sono Vue (BR1), a new ultrasound contrast agent in Doppler investigation of focal hepatic lesions. Eur J Radiol 41:200–206CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schwarz KQ, Becher H, Schimpfky C, Vorwerk D, Bogdahn U, Schlief R (1994) A Study of the magnitude of Doppler enhancement with SH U 508 A in multiple vascular regions. Radiology 193:195–201Google Scholar
- Solbiati L, Tonolini M, Cova L, Goldberg SN (2001) The role of contrast-enhanced ultrasound in the detection of focal liver leasions. Eur Radiol U [Stippl 3]:E15–26Google Scholar