Two-level preconditioning of a discontinuous Galerkin method for radiation diffusion
Weproposea two-level preconditioning strategy for the iterative solution of large sparse linear systems arising from a discontinuous Galerkin discretization of the radiation diffusion equations. The idea is to usea continuous finite element discretization of theoriginal, elliptic diffusion equation for preconditioning the discontinuous equations. We show how our preconditioner is developed and applied to radiation diffusion problems on unstructured, tetrahedral meshes. We present numerical results to illustrate its effectiveness.
KeywordsDiscontinuous Galerkin Method Radiation Diffusion Tetrahedral Mesh Scalar Flux Local Discontinuous Galerkin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alcouffe, R.E. (1977): Diffusion synthetic acceleration methods for the diamond-differenced discrete-ordinate equations. Nuclear Sci. Engrg. 64, 344–355Google Scholar
- Larsen, E.W. ( 1992): The asymptotic diffusion limit of discretized transport problems. Nuclear Sci. Engrg. 112, 336–346Google Scholar
- Wareing, T.A., McGhee, J.M., Morel J.E. (1996): ATTILA: a three-dimensional, unstructured tetrahedral mesh discrete ordinates transport code. Trans. Amer. Nuclear Soc. 75, 146–147Google Scholar
- Wareing, T.A., McGhee, J.M., Morel, J.E., Pautz, S.D. (2001): Discontinuous finite element S n methods on three-dimensional unstructured grids. Nuclear Sci. Engrg. 138, 1–13Google Scholar
- Warsa, J.S., Wareing, T.A., Morel, J.E. (2002): Fully consistent diffusion synthetic acceleration of linear discontinuous S n transport discretizations on unstructured tetrahedral meshes. Nuclear Sci. Engrg. 141, 236–251Google Scholar