Tumors of the Rectum and Anus
As this book deals with complications in proctological surgery, this chapter will not cover anterior resection and abdomino-perineal excision of the rectum. Nevertheless, there is much to discuss, since, with the increasing popularity of transanal endoscopic mucosectomy (TEM) and increased knowledge on the oncological indications for local excision (LE) of a rectal tumor, numerous studies have been carried out and many patients undergoing colorectal surgery may now be effectively cured.
KeywordsRectal Cancer Local Excision Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery Rectal Tumor Anal Incontinence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barker JA, Hill J (2011) Incidence, treatment and outcome of rectal stenosis following transanal endoscopic microsurgery. Tech Coloproctol 15 (in press)Google Scholar
- Bignell MB, Ramwell A, Evans JR et al (2010) Complications of transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM): a prospective audit. Colorectal Dis 12:99–103Google Scholar
- Buess G, Theiss R, Gunther M et al (1984) Endoscopic operative procedure for the removal of rectal polyps. Coloproctology 6:254–261Google Scholar
- De Santis G, Gola PS, Lancione L et al (2011) Sigmoid intramural hematoma and hemoperitoneum: an early severe complication after stapled hemorrhoidopexy. Tech Coloproctol in pressGoogle Scholar
- Keighley MA (2001) Anorectal Disorders. In: Baker RJ, Fischer JE (eds) Mastery of surgery, 4 edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, SydneyGoogle Scholar
- Kumar A, Stahl T, Fitzgerald J et al (2010) Rectal carcinoid tumors resected by transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM): first reported U.S. series. ASCRS Meeting Abstracts, Dis Colon Rectum 53:639Google Scholar
- Lezoche G, Baldarelli M, Guerrieri M et al (2008) A prospective randomized study with a 5-year minimum follow-up evaluation of transanal endoscopic microsurgery versus laparoscopic total mesorectal excision after neoadjuvant therapy. Surg Endosc 22:352–358 Epub 2007 Oct 18. Erratum in: Surg Endosc. 2008 Jan 22:278PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moraes Rda S, Malafaia O, Telles JE et al (2008) Transanal endoscopic microsurgery in the treatment of rectal tumors: a prospective study in 50 patients. Arq Gastroenterol 45:268–274Google Scholar