A Note on Complaints and Deprivation
In the existing literature a separating line is drawn between deprivationand complaint-based inequality indices. In this paper we show that deprivationbased inequality orderings (eg. Gini index) can be replicated through the generalization of complaint-based inequality indices.
KeywordsGini Index Relative Deprivation Certainty Equivalent Income Transfer Inequality Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chakravarty, S., D’Ambrosio, C. and Muliere, P.: 2003, Target shortfall orderings and indices, GIER — Discussion Paper no. 340Google Scholar
- Cowell, F. and Ebert, U.: 2004, Complaints and inequality, Social Choice and Welfare 23(1)Google Scholar
- Hey, J. and Lambert, P.: 1980, Relative deprivation and the gini coefficient: Comment, Quarterly Journal of Economics 95, 567–573Google Scholar
- Runciman, W.: 1966, Relative Deprivation and Social Justice, Routledge and Kegan Paul, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Simon, H.: 1993, Altruism and economics, American Economic Review 83(2)Google Scholar
- Stark, O.: 1999, Altruism and Beyond, Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- Temkin, L.: 1986, Inequality, Philosophy and Public Affairs 15, 99–121Google Scholar
- Yitzhaki, S.: 1979, Relative deprivation and the gini coefficient, Quarterly Journal of Economics 93, 321–324Google Scholar