Monitoring the Teaching — Learning Process via an Entropy Based Index
The concept of entropy is central to thermodynamics, statistical mechanics and information theory. Inspired by Shannon’s information theory we define an entropy based performance index (S p ) for monitoring the teaching-learning process. Our index is based on item response theory which is commonly employed in psychometrics and currently in physics education research. We propose a parametrization scheme for distractor curve.We have carried out a number of surveys to see the dependence of S p on student’s ability, peer instruction and collaborative learning. Our surveys indicate that S p plays a role analogous to entropy in statistical mechanics, with student’s ability being akin to inverse temperature, peer instruction to an ordering (magnetic) field and collaborative learning to interaction.
KeywordsItem Response Theory Collaborative Learning Ability Level Ability Student Entropy Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Szilard, Z. Phys. 53, 840856 (1929). Translation by A. Rapoport and M. Knoller, reprinted in Quantum Theory and Measurement, edited by J. A. Wheeler and W. H. Zurek, Princeton, U. P. (1983)Google Scholar
- 2.C. E. Shannon and W. Weaver, In The Mathematical Theory of Communication, University of Illionis Press, Urbana (1949)Google Scholar
- 4.L. Brillouin, in Science and Information Theory, Academic, New York (1956)Google Scholar
- 5.Gary A. Morris, Lee Branum-Martin, Nathan Harshman, Stephen D. Baker, Eric Mazur, Suvendra Dutta, Taha Mzoughi, and Veronica McCauley, Am. J. of Phy. 74 5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Herbert J Walberg and Geneva D Haertel, The International Encyclopedia of Educational Evaluation, Oxford U.K., Pergamon Press (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.R. P. Feynman, in Statistical Mechanics, W. A. Benjamin Inc., Reading, Massachusetts (1972)Google Scholar
- 9.R. K. Hambleton, H. Swaminathan, and H. J. Rogers, Fundamentals of Item Response Theory Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Vijay A. Singh, and Praveen Pathak, in Proceedings of International Conference to Review Research in Science, Technology and Mathematics Education, Mumbai, Feb. 12–15, 2007Google Scholar