At 14:28 on May 12, 2008, an earthquake of 8.0 on the Richter Scale and a maximum intensity of 11 on Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale struck Wenchuan County in Szechuan Province in southwest China. As the most deadly and the strongest earthquake in China since the 1976 Tangshan earthquake, it led to 69,227 deaths, 375,783 injuries, and 17,923 people being reported missing .
KeywordsNatural Disaster Peak Ground Acceleration Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Wenchuan Earthquake Necrotizing Fasciitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Central People’s Government of the People’s Republic of China. Summary of earthquake-related casualties in mainland China in 2008 by China Earthquake Administration. http://www.gov.cn/gzdt/2009-02/16/content_1232718.htm (accessed April 1, 2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Scheuren JM, le Polain de Waroux O, Below R et al (2007) Annual disaster statistical review: the numbers and trends. http://www.emdat.be/Documents/Publications/Annual Disaster Statistical Review 2007.pdf (accessed April 1, 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.The Central People’s Government of the People’s Republic of China. Summary of Treatment and Prevention of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. http://www.gov.cn/test/2005-06/28/content_10716.htm (accessed April 1, 2009)Google Scholar
- 7.The Central People’s Government of the People’s Republic of China. Report of epidemics of human infection with Streptococcus suis in Szechuan Province issued by Ministry of Health. http://www.gov.cn/gzdt/2005-08/22/content_25170.htm (accessed April 1, 2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Roy N, Shah H, Patel V, Coughlin RR (2001) The Gujarat earthquake experience in a seismically unprepared area: community hospital medical response. Prehospital Disaster Med 17:186–195Google Scholar
- 14.International Society of Nephrology. The Asia quake—ISN’s aid in action. http://www.isn-online.org/isn/news/press_room/2005/0510/full/press _051014_1.html (accessed April 1, 2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Alexander D (2003) Local planning beats foreign dogs. Reuters AlertNet, London, December 30. http://www.alertnet.org/thefacts/reliefresources/107279716149.htm.(Accessed April 1, 2009)Google Scholar
- 31.Thiel CC, Schneider JE, Hiatt D et al (1992) 911 EMS process in the Loma Prieta earthquake. Prehosp Disaster Med 7:348–358Google Scholar