Over the past three decades, the following view has gained increasing favor throughout the medical community: clinical practice should be based on the critical evaluation of the results obtained from medical scientific research. Today this evaluation is greatly favored by Internet which provides instantaneous online access to the most recent studies even before they appear in print form. The possibility of instantaneously accessing quality-filtered and relevance-filtered secondary publications (meta-analyses, systematic reviews, and guidelines) has become real in routine practice.
KeywordsDiagnostic Performance Evidence Base Medicine Health Technology Assessment External Evidence Radiologic Research
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American College of Radiology (2003) ACR breast imaging reporting and data system (BI-RADS): Breast Imaging Atlas. American College of Radiology, Reston, VaGoogle Scholar
- Brealey SD; Damask (Direct Access to Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Assessment for Suspect Knees) Trial Team (2007) Influence of magnetic resonance of the knee on GPs’ decisions: a randomised trial. Br J Gen Pract 57:622–629Google Scholar
- Council of the European Union (1997) Council Directive 97/43/Euratom of 30 June 1997 on health protection of individuals against the dangers of ionizing radiation in relation with medical exposure, and repealing Directive 84/466/Euratom. J Eur Commun L 180:22–27 (http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/dat/1997/en_397L0043.htlm)Google Scholar
- Galli G (2002) Guida alla statistica nelle scienze radiologiche. Ecoedizioni internazionali, Rome, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Greenhalgh T (2006) How to read a paper. The basics of evidence-based medicine. 3rd ed. Blackwell, Oxford, England: ix-xii (a); 1-3 (b)Google Scholar
- Hunink MG, Glasziou PP, Siegel JE et al (2001) Decision making in health and medicine: integrating evidence and values. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2001Google Scholar
- Jordan HS, Bert RB, Chew P et al (2003) Magnetic resonance spectroscopy for brain tumors. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD:109Google Scholar
- Medina LS, Blackmore CC (2006) Evidence-based imaging. 1st edn. Springer, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- Oei EH, Nikken JJ, Ginai AZ et al; From the Program for the Assessment of Radiological Technology (ART Program) (2008) Costs and effectiveness of a brief MRI examination of patients with acute knee injury. Eur Radiol 2008 Sep 16. [Epub ahead of print]Google Scholar
- Ouwendijk R, de Vries M, Stijnen T et al; From the Program for the Assessment of Radiological Technology (2008) Multicenter randomized controlled trial of the costs and effects of noninvasive diagnostic imaging in patients with peripheral arterial disease: the DIPAD trial. AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:1349–1357PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- RCR Working Party (1998) Making the best use of a department of clinical radiology: guidelines for doctors. 4th edn. The Royal College of Radiologists, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Trinder L (2000) A critical appraisal of evidence-based practice. In: Trinder L, Reynolds S (eds) Evidence-based practice: a critical appraisal. Blackwell Science, Oxford, England:212–214Google Scholar