Mathematics and food: a tasty binomium
The pleasure of eating, the art of cuisine, the science of nutrition, and the technology for food preparation, represent various facets of the most basic of human needs, that of finding every day the energy to supply to our body. Food processing has for a long time evolved from an artisanal activity to large industry, with a progressive involvement of multinational factories operating at a planetary level. Surprisingly as it may be, over the past few years, a tight bond has been consolidated between the food industry and mathematics, i.e., the science that has always been (erroneously!) considered as the farest from the primary human needs.
KeywordsCooking Time Bayesian Belief Network Bond Graph Tight Bond Lager Beer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Quarteroni, A.: Mathematical Models in Science and, Engineering. Notices of the AMS 56(1), 10–19Google Scholar
- 2.Quarteroni, A.: Mathematics in the Wind. SIAM series “WhyDoMath” (2008) http://dev.whydomath.org/node/americascup/index.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 4.Techakriengkrai, I., Paterson, A., Piggot, J.R.: Relationships of sweetness in lager, to selected volatile congeners. J. Inst. Brew. 110(4), 360–366 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Singh, R.P.: Moving boundaries in food engineering. Food Technology 54, 2 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Laevsky, K., Mattheij, R.M.M.: Mathematical modeling of some glass problems. In: A. Fasano, Complex Flows in Industrial Processes. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Rijgersberg, H., Top, J.L.: An engineering model of modified atmosphere packaging for vegetables. 2003 International Conference on Bond Graph Modeling and Simulation. Miami, FL (USA)Google Scholar
- 11.Applegate, D.L., Bixby, R.E., Chvátal, V., Cook, W.J.: The Traveling Salesman Problem: A Computational Study. Princeton University Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Corney, D.: Designing food with Bayesian Belief Networks. Proceedings of ACDM2000 — Adaptive Computing in Design and Manufacture, Plymouth (2000)Google Scholar