The Medical Oncologist’s Point of View
In the treatment of cancer, one of the basic assumptions is that all malignant cells should be removed or destroyed to achieve cure. To do this, surgery and/or radiotherapy have been traditionally the primary chosen treatments in solid tumors. However, neither modality can be considered curative once disease is beyond the local region, and clinical evidence has already shown that surgical removal or radiotherapeutic ablation of “localized” masses do not achieve the desired cancer control in a large number of patients. In fact, many tumors which are apparently localized are already microscopically disseminated.
KeywordsGastric Cancer Overall Survival Pancreatic Cancer Clin Oncol Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Niederhuber JE (2004) Surgical intervention in cancer. In: Abeloff MD, Armitage JO, Niederhuber JE, Kastan MB, McKenna WG (eds) Clinical Oncology, 3rd edn. Elsevier, Philadelphia, pp 579–590Google Scholar
- 3.Saltz LB, Niedzwiecki D, Hollis D et al (2004) Irinotecan plus fluorouracil/leucovorin (IFL) versus fluorouracil/leucovorin (FL) in stage III colon cancer (intergroup trial CALGB C89803). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 22:246sGoogle Scholar
- 4.Van Cutsem E, Labianca R, Hossfeld G et al (2005) Randomized phase III trial comparing infused irinotecan/5-fluorouracil (5-FU)/folinic acid (IF) versus 5-FU/FA (F) in stage III colon cancer patients (PETACC 3). J Clin Oncol 23:3sGoogle Scholar
- 6.De Gramont A, Boni C, Navarro M et al (2005) Oxaliplatin/5FU/LV in the adjuvant treatment of stage II and stage III colon cancer: efficacy results with a median follow-up of 4 years. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 23:246sGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wolmark N, Wieand HS, Keubler JP et al (2005) A phase III trial comparing FULV to FULV + oxaliplatin in stage II or III carcinoma of the colon: results of NSABP protocol C-07. J Clin Oncol 23:16sGoogle Scholar
- 9.Schmoll H, Tabernero J, Nowacki M et al (2005) Early safety findings from a phase III trial of capecitabine plus oxaliplatin (XELOX) vs. bolus 5-FU/LV as adjuvant therapy for patients with stage III colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 23:16sGoogle Scholar
- 14.Modern multimodality approach to hepatic colorectal metastases: solutions and controversies (2007) Surg Oncol 16:71–83Google Scholar
- 20.Boige V, Pignon J, Saint-Aubert B et al (2007) Final results of a randomized trial comparing preoperative 5-fluorouracil (F)/cisplatin (P) to surgery alone in adenocarcinoma of stomach and lower esophagus (ASLE): FNLCC ACCORD07-FFCD 9703 trial. J Clin Oncol 25:18sGoogle Scholar
- 25.Abbruzzese J, Kurzrock R, McConkey D et al (2007) Are there rational novel targets for pancreatic cancer terapeutics? Observation from the MD Anderson Cancer Center SPORE in pancreatic cancer. Eur J Cancer 5:149Google Scholar
- 26.Li L, Aggarwal BB, Shishodia S et al (2004) Nuclear factor-kappaB and IkappaB kinase are constitutively active in human pancreatic cells, and their down-regulation by curcumin (diferuloylmethane) is associated with the suppression of proliferation and the induction of apoptosis. Cancer 101:2351–2362PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar