Analysis of Qualitative and Quantitative Rankings in Multicriteria Decision Making
The decision procedures applied in MCDM (Multicriteria Decision Making) are the most suitable in coping with problems involved by social choices, which have to satisfy a high number of criteria. In such a framework an important role is played by the Analytic Hierarchy Process (A.H.P., for short), a procedure developed by T.L. Saaty at the end of the 70s , , , and widely used by governments and companies in fixing their strategies , , . The A.H.P. shows how to use judgement and experience to analyze a complex decision problem by combining both qualitative and quantitative aspects in a single framework and generating a set of priorities for alternatives.
KeywordsMulticriteria Decision Pairwise Comparison Matrix Priority Vector Intensity Vector Actual Ranking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aczel, J. (1966). Lectures on Functional Equation and their Applications. New York and London. Accademic Press.Google Scholar
- 3.Basile, L. and D’Apuzzo L. (1996). Ordering for classes of aggregation operators, International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge Based Systems, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., NJ — USA, 4.2, (1996), 145–156.Google Scholar
- 4.Basile, L. and D’Apuzzo L. (1997). Ranking and Weak Consistency in the A.H.P. Context. Rivista di matematica per le scienze economiche e sociali, 20(1).Google Scholar
- 6.Basile, L. and D’Apuzzo L. (2006). Matrici di valutazione ordinale e matrici intensità. P. Amenta, L.D’Ambra, M.Squillante, A.G.S.Ventre, Metodi, Modelli e Tecnologie dell’informazione a Supporto delle Decisioni, Franco Angeli, 143–158.Google Scholar
- 9.D’Apuzzo L., Mrcarelli G. and Squillante M. (2006). Pairwise Comparison Matrices: Properties And Strict Preference Order. International Journal of Intelligent Systems. Accepted for the publication.Google Scholar
- 10.Fusco Girard L. and Nijkamp P. (1997). Le valutazioni per lo sviluppo sostenibile della citt e del territorio. Franco Angeli, Napoli.Google Scholar
- 13.Roberts, F.S. (1979). Measurement Theory with Applications to Decisionmaking, Utility, and Social Siences. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 7. GIANCARLO ROTA, editor. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- 17.Saaty T. L. and Vargs L.G. (1982). The Logic of Priorities Applications in Business, Energy, Health, and Transportation. Kluwer-Nijhoff, Boston.Google Scholar
- 19.Saaty, T. L. (1988). Decision Making for Leaders. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh.Google Scholar
- 21.Voogd H. (1983). Multi-criteria evaluations for urban and regional planning, London Princeton Univ.Google Scholar