Diagnostic Imaging of Primary Pediatric Brain Tumors
Pediatric brain tumors are the most common type of solid tumor among children, the second most frequent childhood malignancy after leukemia , and the leading cause of death from solid tumors in this population. The incidence of brain tumors in children younger than 20 years of age was 27.4 cases per million children according to the NCI’s Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) cancer statistics reported in 2004 . Approximately 9% of tumors included in the Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States (CBTRUS) were diagnosed in children under the age of 20 .
KeywordsApparent Diffusion Coefficient Germ Cell Tumor Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Pediatric Brain Tumor Choroid Plexus Papilloma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gurney J, Smith M, Bunin G (1999) In: Ries L, Smith M, Gurney J (eds) CNS and miscellaneous intracranial and intraspinal neoplasms. Cancer incidence and survival among children and adolescents: United States SEER Program 1975–1995 NIH Publication No 99-4649. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute SEER Program, pp 51–63Google Scholar
- 2.Ries L, Melbert D, Krapcho M et al (eds) (2007) SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2004. National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD, http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2004/, based on November 2006 SEER data, posted to the SEER websiteGoogle Scholar
- 3.CBTRUS (2005) Statistical report: primary brain tumors in the United States, 1998–2002. Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States, Hinsdale, IllinoisGoogle Scholar
- 5.Sorensen A, Reimer P (2000) Cerebral MR perfusion imaging. Thieme, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Barkovich A (2005) Pediatric neuroimaging. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 13.Qiu D, Kwong DL, Chan GC et al (2007) Diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging finding of discrepant fractional anisotropy between the frontal and parietal lobes after wholebrain irradiation in childhood medulloblastoma survivors: reflection of regional white matter radiosensitivity? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:846–851PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Louis D, Ohgaki H, Wiestler O, Cavenee W (eds) (2007) WHO classification of tumours of the central nervous system. IARC, LyonGoogle Scholar
- 17.Ball WS Jr, Holland SK (2001) Perfusion imaging in the pediatric patient. Magn Reson Imag Clin N Am 9:207–230Google Scholar