Financial Time-series Analysis: a Brief Overview
Prices of commodities or assets produce what is called time-series. Different kinds of financial time-series have been recorded and studied for decades. Nowadays, all transactions on a financial market are recorded, leading to a huge amount of data available, either for free in the Internet or commercially. Financial time-series analysis is of great interest to practitioners as well as to theoreticians, for making inferences and predictions. Furthermore, the stochastic uncertainties inherent in financial time-series and the theory needed to deal with them make the subject especially interesting not only to economists, but also to statisticians and physicists . While it would be a formidable task to make an exhaustive review on the topic, with this review we try to give a flavor of some of its aspects.
KeywordsHurst Exponent Detrended Fluctuation Analysis Random Matrix Theory Power Spectrum Analysis Eigenvalue Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.R. Cont, M. Potters, J.-P. Bouchaud, in: B. Dubrulle, F. Graner and D. Sornette (Eds.), Scale Invariance and Beyond (Proc. CNRS Workshop on Scale Invariance, Les Houches, 1997), Springer, Berlin (1997).Google Scholar
- 11.E.F. Fama, K.R. French, J. Fin. Economics 22, 3 (1988).Google Scholar
- 12.R.N. Mantegna, H.E. Stanley, An Introduction to Econophysics, Cambridge University Press, New York (2000).Google Scholar
- 13.N. Vandewalle, M. Ausloos, Physica A 246, 454 (1997). C.-K. Peng, S.V. Buldyrev, S. Havlin, M. Simons, H.E. Stanley, A.L. Goldberger, Phys. Rev. E 49, 1685 (1994). Y. Liu, P. Gopikrishnan, P. Cizeau, M. Meyer, C.-K.. Peng, H.E. Stanley, Phys. Rev. E 60, 1390 (1999). M. Beben, A. Orlowski, Eur. Phys. J. B 20, 527 (2001). A. Sarkar, P. Barat, Physica A 364, 362 (2006); arxiv:physics/0504038. P. Norouzzadeh, B. Rahmani, Physica A 367, 328 (2006); D. Wilcox, T. Gebbie, arxiv:cond-mat/0404416.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 14.See K. Kaneko (Ed.), Theory and Applications of Coupled Map Lattices, Wiley, New York (1993), and in particular the contribution of R. Kapral.Google Scholar
- 27.G. Oh, S. Kim, C. Eom, Market efficiency in foreign exchange markets, Physica A, in press.Google Scholar