Heart-Failure Management: Focus on Heart-Failure Practice Guidelines
Heart failure (HF) is associated with a high burden of mortality and morbidity, reduced quality of life, and increasing healthcare costs [1, 2]. HF is largel y a disease of old age, and it is becoming increasingly prevalent with the gradual aging of the global population . HF is a complex syndrome in which abnormal heart function results in, or increases the subsequent risk of clinical symptoms and signs of low cardiac output and/or pulmonary and systemic congestion .
KeywordsChronic Heart Failure Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Optimal Medical Therapy Isosorbide Dinitrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.American Heart Association (2005) Heart disease and stroke statistics: 2005 update. American Heart Association, DallasGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hunt SA, Abraham WT, Chin MH et al (2005) ACC/AHA 2005 guideline update for the diagnosis and management of chronic heart failure in adult — summary article: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines (writing committee to update the 2001 guidelines for the evaluation and management of heart failure). Developed in collaboration with the American College of Chest Physicians and the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. Endorsed by the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 112:1825–1852CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Swedberg K, Cleland J, Dargie H et al (2005) ESC guidelines: guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic heart failure — executive summary (update 2005). The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic heart failure of European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 26:1115–1140PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.The Acute Infarction Ramipril Efficacy (AIRE) Study Investigators (1993) Effect of ramipril on mortality and morbidity of survivors of acute myocardial infarction and clinical evidence of heart failure. Lancet 342:669–677Google Scholar
- 12.Granger CB, McMurray JJ, Yusuf S et al; CHARM Investigators and Committee (2003) Effect of candesartan in patients with chronic heart failure and reduced left-ventricular systolic function intolerant to angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors: the CHARM alternative trial. Lancet 362:772–776PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.McAlister FA, EzeKowitz JA, Wiebe N et al (2004) Systematic review: cardiac resynchronization in patients with symptomatic heart failure. Ann Inter Med 141:381–390Google Scholar
- 18.Bristow MR, Saxon LA, Boehmer J et al; Comparison of Medical therapy, Pacing and Defibrillation in Heart Failure (COMPANION) Investigators (2004) Cardiac resynchronization therapy with and without an implantable defibrillator in advance chronic heart failure. N Engl J Med 350:2140–2150PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar