IFAE 2006 pp 73-76 | Cite as

Future Perspectives of High Energy Experimental Physics and the Role of INFN

  • Umberto Dosselli
Conference paper


The assessment of the future of HEP starts from what the field has achieved so far; the last fifty years have seen an exceptional number of discoveries whose focal point can be well represented by the Standard Model. In fact, instead of the many dozens of different elements that characterize the macroscopic world of the chemical elements, the HEP field has reached a remarkable degree of synthesis with the Standard Model, capable to describe the entire Universe with an handful of elementary particles and forces. Unfortunately we now know that this wonderful scheme describes only less than 5% of the known Universe, the remaining 95% being attributed to something that today generically we call “Dark Energy” and “Dark Matter”. And is the understanding of the existence of this large area where the map still reports hic sunt leones and that we have to describe in terms of particles and interactions that justifies the strong belief that HEP has a very interesting future.


Dark Matter Large Hadron Collider Linear Collider International Linear Collider Neutrino Factory 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.


Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.


  1. 1.
    H. Ibach, H. Lüth: Solid-State Physics, 2nd edn (Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York 1996) pp 45–56Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    D.M. MacKay: Visual stability and voluntary eye movements. In: Handbook of Sensory Physiology, vol 3, ed by R. Jung, D.M. MacKay (Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York 1973) pp 307–331Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    S. Preuss, A. Demchuk Jr, M. Stuke et al: Appl. Phys. A 61, 33 (1995)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    D.W. Ross: Lysosomes and storage diseases. MA Thesis, Columbia University, New York (1977)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag Italia 2007

Authors and Affiliations

  • Umberto Dosselli
    • 1
  1. 1.INFN Sezione di PadovaPadovaItaly

Personalised recommendations