Registration of Multimodality Medical Imaging of Brain using Particle Swarm Optimization
In present work we have introduced nonlinear affine registration method to incorporate the anatomic body deformation. The present technique has been developed for registration of section of human brain using CT and MR modalities. Present study related to image registration of different modality imaging is based on 2-D/2-D affine registration technique. Automatic registration has been achieved by maximization of a similarity measure and which is the correlation function of two images. The proposed method has been implemented by choosing a realistic, practical transformation and optimization techniques. Since similarity metric is a non-covex function and contains many local optima, choice of search strategy for optimization is important in registration problem. There exist many optimization schemes, most of which are local and require a starting point. Presently, we have implemented multiresolution based particle swarm optimization technique to overcome this problem.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Image Registration Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Affine Transformation Image Pyramid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Taibi H., Batouche M.: Hybrid Particle Swam with Differential Evolution for Multimodal Image Registration IEEE Int. Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 1567–1572 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Maes F., Vandermeulen D., Suetens P.: Comparative evaluation of multiresolution optimization strategies for multimodality image registration by maximization of mutual information Medical Image Analysis. 3(4), 373–386 (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Phan H. V., Lech M., Nguyen T. D.: Registration of 3D Range Images Using Particle Swarm Optimization ASIAN 2004, LNCS 3321, pp 223–235 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Bhattacharya M., Das A.: “Multi-Resolution Medical Image Registration Using Maximization of Mutual Information & Optimization by Genetic Algorithm”, Proc. of IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium/Medical Imaging Conference (IEEE NSS/MIC-07) Hawaii, USA by IEEE Nuclear Science Society, pp 2961–2964 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Bhattacharya M., Das A.: Affine Registrati on by Intensity and Fuzzy Gradient Based Correlation Maximization, accepted in proceedings of IEEE 7th International Symposium on Bioinformatics & Bioengi neering (IEEE BIBE-07), 14–17 Oct. 2007, Boston, Massachusetts, USA (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Kennedy J., Eberhart R.: Particle Swarm Optimization, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, 4, 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 16.Kor S., Tiwary U. S., Feature level Fusion of Multimodal Medical Images in lifting Wavelet Transform Domain, Proc. of 26th Annual International conference of IEEE EMBS, pp. 1479–1482Google Scholar
- 17.Bhattacharya M., Dutta Majumder D.: Knowledge Based Approach to Medical Image Processing. In Pattern Directed Information Analysis (Algorithms, Architecture & Applications), publisher: New Age International Wiley, pp 454–486 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Chelouah R., Siarry P., Tabu Search Applied to Global Optimization, European Journal of Operational Research (123), 256–270Google Scholar