Pre-Descemet’s Endothelial Keratoplasty
Pre-Descemet’s endothelial keratoplasty (PDEK) is a technique of endothelial keratoplasty (EK) that was described by one of the authors (Prof. Amar Agarwal) and Prof. Harminder Dua where the Pre-Descemet’s layer (PDL) is also transplanted along with the Descemet’s membrane (DM) and endothelium . It thus differs from Descemet’s membrane endothelial keratoplasty (DMEK) [2, 3] in which only the Descemet’s membrane and endothelium are transferred. It also differs from Descemet’s stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK)  and ultra-thin DSAEK (UT-DSAEK) [5, 6] in not transferring stroma. The PDL has been described as a cellular, measuring about 10–15 μm, and composed of 10–15 lamellae made of type I collagen bundles arranged in transverse, longitudinal and oblique directions (Fig. 12.1) .
KeywordsCorneal Dystrophy Bullous Keratopathy Endothelial Keratoplasty Pseudophakic Bullous Keratopathy Host Stroma
- 8.Ashton Acton. Epithelial cells—Advances in research and application: 2013 edition. Scholarly Editions. Chapter 4: Endothelial cells, Pg 368Google Scholar
- 12.Agarwal A. Trocar anterior chamber maintainer facilitates ocular surgeries. Ocular Surgery News U.S. Edition, July 10, 2015Google Scholar
- 13.Jacob S, Agarwal A, Agarwal A, Narasimhan S, Kumar DA, Sivagnanam S. Endoilluminator-assisted transcorneal illumination for Descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty: enhanced intraoperative visualization of the graft in corneal decompensation secondary to pseudophakic bullous keratopathy. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2014;40(8):1332–6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Veldman PB, Dye PK, Holiman JD, Mayko ZM, Sáles CS, Straiko MD, Stoeger CG, Terry MA. Stamping an S on DMEK Donor tissue to prevent upside-down grafts: laboratory validation and detailed preparation technique description. Cornea. 2015 Sep;34(9):1175-8.Google Scholar
- 16.Cost B, Goshe JM, Srivastava S, Ehlers JP.Intraoperative Optical Coherence Tomography-Assisted Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty in the DISCOVER Study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 Sep;160(3):430-7.Google Scholar