Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs): An Emerging Business Model
Currently, India stands second in the world in terms of the number of mobile subscribers. This success can be attributed to the regulatory strategy of encouraging private players and maintaining a competitive environment. There has been an exponential growth in the number of wireless subscribers over the years and the telecommunications sector has reinforced the economic growth wave of the country.
KeywordsNetwork Code Mobile Service Federal Communication Commission Brand Extension Mobile Switching Centre
- Attenborough N, Dippon C, Sorensen S (2007) Mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) in Israel: economic assesment and policy recommendation. Available at: http://www.moc.gov.il/sip_storage/FILES/8/1328.pdf. Accessed 30 Jun 2010
- Banerjee A, Dippon CM (2009) Voluntary relationship among mobile network operators and mobile virtual network operators: an economic explanation. Inf Econ Policy 21(1):72–84Google Scholar
- Dippon C, Banerjee A (2006) Mobile virtual network operators: blessing or curse? An economic evaluation of the MVNO relationship with mobile network operators, NERA Economic Consulting. Available at: http://www.nera.com/publications/archive/2006/mobile-virtual-network-operators-blessing-or-curse-an-economic.html.
- FCC (2001) Biennial regulatory review spectrum aggregation limits. Available at: https://www.fcc.gov/document/2000-biennial-regulatory-review-spectrum-aggregation-limits
- Friend G (2009) Critical success factors, mobile virtual network operators. Coleago consulting, April. Available at: http://www.coleago.co.uk/index.php?page=critical-successfactors-in-launching-an-mvno. Accessed 10 Sept 2009
- ITU (2011) Regulatory resources on 3G mobile: MVNOs. Available at: http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/ni/3G/resources/MVNO/index.html. Accessed 17 Mar 2015
- Kharif O (2007) Amp’d files for bankruptcy. Businessweek.com. Available at: http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2007/06/ampd_
- Kiiski A, Hammainen H (2004) Mobile virtual network operators: case Finland. ITS 15th biennial conferenceGoogle Scholar
- Lewin D (2001) ITU MVNOs-competition policy and market development: ITU workshop on 3G mobile. Available at: https://www.itu.int/osg/spu/ni/3G/workshop/presentations/lewin_1.pdf. Accessed 4 Mar 2015
- Ofcom (2006) The communications market. Interim report. Available at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/cm/interim/feb06_report/comms_mkt.pdf. Accessed 30 Jun 2010
- Ofcom (2009) Available at: http:// www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/mobile_call_termination/wmvct/annexf. Accessed 20 Nov 2009
- Pousttchi K, Hufenbach Y (2009) Analyzing and categorization of the business model of virtual operators. In: Eighth international conference on mobile business. IEEE, pp 87–92Google Scholar
- Shoji Y (2009) Evaluation of the competition policy to encourage MVNO system in Japan. In: SAINT‘09: 2009 ninth annual international symposium on applications and the internet. IEEE, pp 220–222Google Scholar
- TRAI (2008a) Recommendations on mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). Available at: http://www.trai.gov.in/writereaddata/recommendation/documents/recom6aug08952012.pdf. Accessed 22 Jan 2015
- TRAI (2008b) Consultation paper on mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). Available at: http://trai.gov.in/WriteReaddata/ConsultationPaper/Document/cpaper5may08.pdf.
- TRAI (2008c) Stakeholders comments on consultation paper on mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). Available at: http://trai.gov.in/Content/Consultation_ViewCommentDescription/515_1_ViewCommentDescription.aspx.
- TRAI (2009) Recommendations on an approach to rural telephony â€ suggested measures for an accelerated growth. Available at: http://trai.gov.in/WriteReadData/Recommendation/Documents/recom19mar09.pdf