Conversion of fossil fuel energy into electricity is a very inefficient process. A major portion of the energy in fossil fuel gets lost at different components or processes. This chapter has dealt with different losses in boiler, turbine, generator and auxiliaries, determination and impact of these losses on efficiency and broad mitigation methods.
KeywordsSteam Flow Unburned Carbon Velocity Pressure Cool Water Flow Coal Flow
- Bellman DK (2007) Power plant efficiency outlook. Working Document of the NPC Global Oil & Gas Study, July 2007Google Scholar
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (2014) Energy performance assessment of boilersGoogle Scholar
- Gill AB (1984) Power Plant Performance. Butterworth and Co (Publisher) LtdGoogle Scholar
- International Energy Agency (2010) Power generation from coal-measuring and reporting efficiency performance and CO2 emissionsGoogle Scholar
- Jochem E (2007) Realizing the potential of energy efficiency. Expert Report, UNFGoogle Scholar
- Subba Rao PMV (2011) Performance analysis of coal millsGoogle Scholar