Acute Psychiatric Disorder
Acute psychosis has both functional and organic causes. In the emergency department, ruling out causes of organic psychosis first is crucial.
KeywordsPersonality Disorder Conversion Disorder Physical Restraint Delusional Disorder Thought Insertion
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 1.Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th ed, text revision (DSM-IV-TR). http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.books.9780890420249.dsm-iv-tr.
- 3.Marx J, Hockerberg R, Walls R. Rosen’s emergency medicine concepts and clinical practice. 7th ed. 2010; Mosby; Philadelphia. ISBN: 978-0-323-05472-0.Google Scholar
- 4.Health and training institute. Acute psychiatric management. 2nd ed. http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.books.9780890420249.dsm-iv-tr.
- 12.Binder RL M.D., McNiel DE Ph.D. Emergency psychiatry: contemporary practices in managing acutely violent patients in 20 psychiatric emergency rooms. Psychiatry Online. 1999;50(12):1553–4.Google Scholar
- 18.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fifth edition (DSM-5). Arlington: American Psychiatric Association; 2013.Google Scholar
- 19.Allen MH. Managing the agitated psychotic patient: a reappraisal of the evidence. SOJ Clin Psychiatry. 2000;61 Suppl 14:11.Google Scholar
© Springer India 2016