Assessment of Sexual Assault
Compassionate medical care should precede forensic examination.
Assessment of sexual assault should be performed after valid consent. The procedure should be conducted as early as possible.
Appropriate collection and preservation of evidence is mandatory.
Post-assault management includes emergency contraception as well as definitive management of injuries.
Emergency psychiatric referral should be offered, if needed.
KeywordsSexual Assault Bacterial Vaginosis Emergency Contraception Needlestick Injury Potassium Oxalate
- 1.Jewkes R, Sen P, Garcia-Moreno C. Sexual violence. In: Krug E, editor. World report on violence and health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.Narayan Reddy KS. Sexual offences. In the essentials of forensic medicine and toxicology, chap. 17. 25th ed. 2006, Hyderabad: K. Suguna Devi; p. 346–65.Google Scholar
- 3.National Protocol for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examinations (Adults/Adolescents). 2nd ed. US Department of Justice. Apr 2013. Available at https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ovw/241903.pdf.
- 4.Garcia-Moreno C, et al. WHO multi-country study on women’s health and domestic violence against women: initial results on prevalence, health outcomes and women’s responses. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2005. Countries included: Bangladesh, Brazil, Ethiopia, Japan, Namibia, Peru, Samoa, Thailand, Maldives, Serbia, Solomon islands, Vietnam.Google Scholar
- 5.Rozzi HV. Sexual assault and society. In: The evaluation of management of the sexually assaulted or sexually abused patient, chap. 1. 2nd ed. 2013. p. 15–20. Available from http://www.mncasa.org/assets/PDFs/American%20College%20of%20%20Emergency%20Physicians%20ebook%20Sexual%20Assault.pdf.
- 6.Dickinson M, Lindon JA. Chap. 9: Adult/adolescent patient sexual assault examination and Chap. 10: Adult/patient sexual assault forensic medical report. In: The evaluation of management of the sexually assaulted or sexually abused patient. 2nd ed. 2013. p. 43–4, 45–50. Available from http://www.mncasa.org/assets/PDFs/American%20College%20of%20%20Emergency%20Physicians%20ebook%20Sexual%20Assault.pdf.
- 7.2010 STD treatment guidelines sexual assault of Women and girl children. Collection of Medical and Forensic Evidence Medical treatment and Psycho-social Rehabilitation (Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. November 1998, Updated December 2004 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 2010. Available: http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010.