Emerging Respiratory Pandemics
Since the identity of the respiratory pathogen is not known at the time of admission, emergency department personnel and intensive care staff are at the highest risk of exposure while handling such patients.
KeywordsAvian Influenza Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Multisystem Organ Failure Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus
- 2.Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 - Update 112. http://www.who.int/csr/don/2010_08_06/en/. Last accessed 05 Jan 2016.
- 3.Influenza at the human-animal interface. Summary and assessment as of 4 December 2014.Human infection with avian influenza A (H5N1) viruses. http://www.who.int/influenza/human_animal_interface/Influenza_Summary_IRA_HA_interface_04December2014.pdf?ua=1. Accessed 05 Jan 2016.
- 4.Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) summary and literature update–as of 11 June 2014. http://www.who.int/csr/disease/coronavirus_infections/MERS-CoV_summary_update_20140611.pdf. Last accessed 10 Jan 2015
- 7.Writing Committee of the WHO Consultation on Clinical Aspects of Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 Influenza, Bautista E, Chotpitayasunondh T, Gao Z, Harper SA, Shaw M, Uyeki TM, Zaki SR, Hayden FG, Hui DS, Kettner JD, Kumar A, Lim M, Shindo N, Penn C, Nicholson KG. Clinical aspects of pandemic 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection. N Engl J Med. 2010;362(18):1708–19.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fiore AE, Fry A, Shay D, Gubareva L, Bresee JS, Uyeki TM, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Antiviral agents for the treatment and chemoprophylaxis of influenza. Recommendations from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011;60(1):1–24.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2013–2014. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2013;62(RR-07):1–43. Erratum in: MMWR Recomm Rep. 2013;62(45):906.Google Scholar
- 10.WHO rapid advice guidelines on pharmacological management of humans infected with avian influenza A(H5N1) virus. Available at http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2006/WHO_PSM_PAR_2006.6_eng.pdf?ua=1. Last accessed 10 Jan 2015.
- 11.CDC and Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). 2007 Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings. http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/isolation/Isolation2007.pdf. Last accessed 05 Jan 2016.
© Springer India 2016