A clinical diagnosis of asthma should be suspected in patients with intermittent symptoms of wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and breathlessness.
Objective measurements of lung function, preferably using spirometry or peak flow meters, are needed to confirm the diagnosis.
All asthma patients presenting with an acute episode should be given a rapid-acting bronchodilator for rapid relief of symptoms.
Other add-on therapies for acute management include systemic corticosteroids, ipratropium bromide, etc., which should be instituted according to the severity of bronchial asthma.
Close monitoring and reassessment at frequent intervals holds the key in the proper management of acute asthma.
KeywordsAirflow Obstruction Acute Asthma Peak Expiratory Flow Rate Magnesium Sulphate Ipratropium Bromide
- 3.Innes Asher et al. The global asthma report 2014. Auckland: Global Asthma Network; 2014. www.globalasthmareport.org/resources/.
- 4.World Health Organization. WHO factsheet 206: bronchial asthma. Available at: www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs206/en. Last accessed 19 Apr 2015.
- 5.National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Expert Panel: report 3: guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma. NIH Publication No. 08-5846. Washington: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute; 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.Adrian Shifren, Chad Witt, Chandrika Christie, Mario Castro. Mechanisms of remodeling in asthmatic airways. J Allergy 2012;2012:316049. 12 p.Google Scholar
- 9.Global initiative for Asthma. Global strategy for asthma management and prevention [Internet]. http://www.ginasthma.org. Last updated Apr 2015. Last accessed 12 May 2015.
- 10.BTS/SIGN British guideline on the management of asthma. Revised ed. Oct 2014 [Internet]. http://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/guidelines-and-quality-standards/asthma-guideline. Last accessed 12 May 2015.
- 11.Morris MJ. Asthma treatment and management. Medscape [Internet]. Available at http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/296301-treatment#aw2aab6b6b7. Accessed 12 May 2015.
- 12.Rai SP, et al. Best treatment guidelines for bronchial asthma. MJAFI. 2007;63:264–8.Google Scholar