Early detection of target organ failure or imminent target organ failure is important in hypertensive crisis.
Detailed history and clinical examination can best direct toward the requisite investigations and contribute toward proper diagnosis and management.
Along with BP control, treatment of the underlying cause and specific organ dysfunction are the keys for the good outcomes in hypertensive emergencies.
KeywordsAcute Coronary Syndrome Mean Arterial Pressure Aortic Dissection Hypertensive Crisis HELLP Syndrome
Blood urea nitrogen
Cardiothoracic and vascular surgery
Diastolic blood pressure
Low molecular weight heparin
Mean arterial pressure
Magnetic resonance imaging
Percutaneous coronary intervention
Systolic blood pressure
- 2.Pinna G, Pascale C, Fornengo P, Arras S, Piras C, Panzarasa P, Carmosino G, Franza O, Semeraro V, Lenti S, Pietrelli S, Panzone S, Bracco C, Fiorini R, Rastelli G, Bergandi D, Zampaglione B, Musso R, Marengo C, Santoro G, Zamboni S, Traversa B, Barattini M, Bruno G. Hospital admissions for hypertensive crisis in the emergency departments: a large multicenter Italian study. PLoS One. 2014;9(4):e93542.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Hypertensive crisis, American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/AboutHighBloodPressure/Hypertensive-Crisis_UCM_301782_Article.jsp.
- 6.Grossman E, Ironi AN, Messerli FH. Comparative tolerability profile of hypertensive crisis treatments. Drug safety 1998;19(2):99–122.Google Scholar
- 10.Nieminen MS, Böhm M, Cowie MR, et al. Executive summary of the guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of acute heart failure: the Task Force on Acute Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology. ESC Committee for Practice Guideline (CPG). Eur Heart J. 2005;26:384–416.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Broderick J, Connolly S, Feldmann E, et al. Guidelines for the management of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage in adults: 2007 update: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council, High Blood Pressure Research Council, and the Quality of Care and Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Group. Circulation. 2007;116:e391.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Adams Jr HP, et al. Guidelines for the early management of adults with ischemic stroke: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council, Clinical Cardiology Council, Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention Council, and the Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease and Quality of Care Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Groups: The American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this guideline as an educational tool for neurologists. Circulation. 2007;115:e478.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar