Real-Time ECG Acquisition and Detection of Anomalies
ECG signals occupy a vital role in the diagnosis of cardiac abnormalities. These abnormalities can be detected by the variation in the ECG parameters. This paper deals with the implementation of real-time acquisition, conditioning, and feature extraction of the ECG signal so as to monitor and detect various cardiac abnormalities. NI educational laboratory virtual instrumentation suite (NI ELVIS) is used for interfacing the acquired signal with LabVIEW. Further, LabVIEW-based virtual system is designed to create modules for conditioning and feature extraction. The detection of cardiovascular abnormalities such as bradycardia and tachycardia is based on the calculation of heart rate from extracted ECG features. Other abnormalities are detected by determining the deviation of the extracted features such as duration and amplitude, from their standard values.
KeywordsECG Attribute extraction Abnormality detection LabVIEW NI ELVIS benchtop workstation
- 1.Gao Z, Wu J, Zhou J, Jiang W, Feng L. Design of ECG signal acquisition and processing system. Int Conf Biomed Eng Biotech. 2012.Google Scholar
- 2.Patel AM, Gakare PK, Cheeran AN. Real time feature extraction and arrhthmia detection on a mobile platform. Int J Comput Appl (0975-8887). 2012;44(23).Google Scholar
- 3.National instruments elvis ii user guide and specification.Google Scholar
- 4.ECG signal conditioning. http://bme.sunysb.edu/labs/wlin/BME313/.
- 5.Bhyri C, Kalpana V, Hamde ST, Waghmare LM. Estimation of ECG features using LabVIEW. Technia—Int J Comput Sci Commun Technol. 2009;2(1). ISSN:0974-3375.Google Scholar
- 6.National Instruments Developer zone. LabVIEW for ECG signal processing; 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.Islam MK, Haque ANMM, Tangim G, Ahammad T, Khondokar MRH. Study and analysis of ECG signal using Matlab and LabVIEW as an effective tool. Int J Comput Electr Eng. 2012;4(3).Google Scholar
- 8.PoonamKaur, Sharma RK. Lab VIEW based design of heart disease detection system. IEEE Int Conf Recent Adv Innovat Eng (ICRAIE-2014). 2014.Google Scholar
- 9.Adochiei N, David V, Adochiei F, Tudosa I. ECG waves and feature extraction using wavelet multi-resolution analysis. Int Conf E-Health Bioeng. 2011.Google Scholar
- 10.American heart association for database. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp.