Design of Wireless Sensor Network for Submarine Detection
The coastline of India extends up to nearly 12 Nautical miles which increase the possibility of intruders into the coastline of country (Barr et al. Barrier coverage for underwater sensor networks. IEEE Military communications conference. MILCOM; 2008. p. 1–7) . This work looks into the intrusion of the other submarine to coastline of the country. Most of the existing submarine intrusion detection systems use sonar-based technologies. As submarine hulls can absorb the sonar waves, it can effectively hide from the detection system (Heidemann et al. Research challenges and applications for underwater sensor networking. IEEE Wireless Commun Netw Conf (WCNC). 2006;1:228–35) . The proposed submarine detection system described in this paper helps to avoid this issue. The proposed system uses a wireless sensor network which provides an effective submarine detection and localization. In this work, a new MAC protocol and Routing Protocol is proposed for efficient working of the system.
KeywordsConnectivity Coverage Coverage degree Localization Protocol Sensing range
We would like to express our sincere gratitude to Prof. K.A. Unnikrishna Menon for the time he dedicated to help us solving doubts at various stages of this research. We also take this opportunity to thank Dr. Maneesha V. Ramesh for her support in completing this paper. We would also like to express our gratitude for the immeasurable motivation and guidance provided by Sri. (Dr.) Mata Amritanandamayi Devi (AMMA), Chancellor of Amrita University.
- 1.Barr S, Liu B, Wang J. Barrier coverage for underwater sensor networks. IEEE military communications conference. MILCOM; 2008. p. 1–7. doi: 10.1109/MILCOM.2008.4753077.
- 2.Heidemann J, Ye W, Wills J, Syed A, Li Y. Research challenges and applications for underwater sensor networking. IEEE Wireless Commun Netw Conf (WCNC). 2006;1:228–235. doi: 10.1109/WCNC.2006.1683469.
- 3.Ambadiyil S, Mahadevan Pillai VP, Praveen V, Jayan KG, Sudheer SK: Holographic registration plates with GPRS (HRPG) network for sea-going vessels to augment the coastal security. International conference on ultra modern telecommunications & workshops, ICUMT ‘09; 2009. p. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 4.Been R, Hughes DT, Potter JR, Strode C. Cooperative anti-submarine warfare at NURC moving towards a net-centric capability. IEEE OCEANS. 2010;1–10. (Sydney). doi: 10.1109/OCEANSSYD.2010.5603637.
- 5.El Kouche A, Hassanein HS, Obaia K. WSN platform plug-and-play (PnP) customization. IEEE ninth international conference on intelligent sensors, sensor networks and information processing (ISSNIP); 2014. p. 1–6. doi: 10.1109/ISSNIP.2014.6827642.
- 7.Forney C, Manii E, Farris M, Moline MA, Lowe CG, Clark CM. Tracking of a tagged leopard shark with an AUV: sensor calibration and state estimation. IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA); 2012. p. 5315–21. doi: 10.1109/ICRA.2012.6224991.
- 8.Encarnacao LM, Barton RJ, III, Zeltzer D. Interactive exploration of the underwater sonar space. OCEANS, 2001. MTS/IEEE Conf Exhib. 2001;3:1945–1952. doi: 10.1109/OCEANS.2001.968144.
- 9.Manjula RB, Manvi SS. Coverage optimization based sensor deployment by using PSO for anti-submarine detection in UWASNs. Ocean electronics (SYMPOL); 2013. p. 15–22. doi: 10.1109/SYMPOL.2013.6701906.
- 10.Sun P, Seah WK-G, Lee PWQ. Efficient data delivery with packet cloning for underwater sensor networks. Symposium on underwater technology and workshop on scientific use of submarine cables and related technologies; 2007. p. 34–41. doi: 10.1109/UT.2007.370944.
- 11.Wang X, Xing G, Zhang Y, Lu C, Pless R, Gill C. Integrated coverage and connectivity configuration in wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 1st international conference on embedded networked sensor systems (SenSys ‘03). ACM, New York, NY, USA; 2013. p. 28–9. doi: 10.1145/958491.958496 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/958491.958496.
- 12.Hisamatsu T, Ogawa A, Sugiura K, Nakamura O, Murai J. Software compatibility and human interface for DV over IP. Proceedings of the 2003 symposium on applications and the internet workshops; 2003. p. 188–91. doi: 10.1109/SAINTW.2003.1210153.