The Importance of Africa in India’s Energy Security
The period since the early 1990s has witnessed unprecedented economic growth in India, fuelled by economic liberalization and an aggressive export-driven policy. It has also been marked by a shift in India’s foreign policy, including its approach towards Africa. The new approach was pragmatic, with elements of realist thought driving policymakers, contrasting with the older, more idealistically driven, foreign relations. Economically, India now perceives Africa as a market for its manufactured goods and a source of energy, diplomatically a potential international ally.
KeywordsAfrican Nation Resource Curse Exxon Mobil China National Petroleum Corporation South Sudan
- Africa Energy Outlook. 2014. World energy outlook special report, IEA. http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/AEO_ES_English.pdf. Accessed 11 Jan 2015.
- Barman, Arjit. 2010. RIL, Essar to bid for BPs African petrol pumps. Business Standard (Mumbai), 4 August. http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/ril-essar-to-bid-for-bp%Cs-african-petrol-pumps/403485. Accessed 4 Nov 2013.
- Biswas Aparajita. 2009. Win-win situations in energy sector. In Engaging with a Resurgent Africa, eds. Dilip Lahiri, Jorg Schultz, and Manish Chand, 139–145. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Brookings. 2013. A trilateral dialogue on the United States, Africa and China. http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Research/Files/Reports/2013/08/us%20africa%20china%20trilateral%20dialogue/All%20China%20Oil%20Papers.pdf. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- Deccan Herald. 2011. India’s interest growing in African oil, gas assets. September 4. http://www.deccanherald.com/content/188348/indias-interests-growing-african-oil.html. Accessed 4 Nov 2013.
- Dwinger, Fiona. 2010. Combating climate change: China’s contribution to the expansion of Africa’s renewable energy sector. Consultancy Africa Intelligence Asia Dimension Discussion Papers (Consultancy Africa Intelligence: South Africa). http://www.consultancyafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=479:combating-climate-change-chinas-contribution-to-the-expansion-of-africas-renewable-energy-sector&catid=58:asia-dimension-discussion-papers&Itemid=264. Accessed 8 Jan 2012.
- IEA (International Energy Agency). 2012. New Policies Scenario.Google Scholar
- IEP Report, Planning Commission. 2006. Government of India, Integrated Energy Policy Report of the Expert Committee, p. 57.Google Scholar
- IMF. 2015. World economic outlook (WEO) update. January. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2015/update/01/info.htm. Accessed 12 Feb 2015.
- Jackson, Michael. 2006. The future of natural gas in India: a study of major consuming sectors. August. http://www.iis-db.stanford.edu/pubs/21994/Jackson_WP65_India_gas.pdf. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- Jaffe, A. M., and R. Soligo 2007. The international oil companies. The James A. Baker III institute for public policy, rice university. http://hdl.handle.net/1911/20467. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- Jeremy Carl, Varun Rai and David G. Victor. 2008. Energy and India’s foreign policy. Program on energy and sustainable development, working paper #75, May. http://zunia.org/sites/default/files/media/node-files/ss/185331_SSRNid14001841262847047.pdf. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- Madan, Tanvi. 2006. The brookings foreign policy studies, energy security series—India, November. http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/reports/2006/11/india/2006.india.pdf. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- Malaquias, Assis. 2013. Thirsty powers: the United States, China and Africa’s natural resources. http://africacenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2005/06/Thirsty-Powers-the-United-States-China-and-Africas-Energy-Resources.pdf. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India. 2011. Basic Statistics. http://petroleum.nic.in/petstat.pdf. Accessed 4 Nov 2013.
- ONGC Videsh Limited. 2013. Africa Assets. http://www.ongcvidesh.com/Assets.aspx?tab=0. Accessed 27 Dec 2013.
- Planning Commission. Government of India. 2009. Power and energy. http://planningcommission.nic.in/sectors/index.php?sectors=energy. Accessed 17 Dec 2011.
- Sudan Tribune. Luke Patey, South sudan: fighting could cripple oil industry for decades. http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article49741. Accessed 8 May 2014.
- The Indian Express. 2007. In first major foreign foray, Reliance buys gulf Africa petroleum. 5 September. http://indianexpress.com/news/in-first-major-foreign-foray-reliance-buys/214536. Accessed 4 Nov 2013.
- UNCTAD. 2013. Foreign direct investment to Africa increases, defying global trend for 2012. http://unctad.org/en/pages/PressRelease.aspx?OriginalVersionID=136. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration, Emerging East African Energy. http://www.eia.gov/countries/regions-topics.cfm?fips=eeae. Accessed 15 Dec 2013.
- World Energy Outlook. 2013. IEA, London, 12 November. http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/pressmedia/recentpresentations/LondonNovember12.pdf. Accessed 24 Nov 2014.
- World Energy Outlook. 2014. IEA, London, 12 November. http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/publications/weo-2014/. Accessed 11 Jan 2015.