Indian Investors Seeking Markets and Business Prospects
Over the first decade of the twenty-first century, the scope of India–Africa economic cooperation widened rapidly, reflecting India’s emergence as an important player in the world economy and its substantial need for oil and other natural resources. That need was seen in the two India–Africa Forum summits of 2008 and 2011, in which India offered substantial loans, grants and development assistance in an attempt to “woo” African countries. India has undertaken initiatives to enhance its economic engagement with Africa on a mutually beneficial basis, mainly following the agenda of South–South cooperation. India’s foreign policy directives have aimed to help revamp African services, infrastructure and nascent market mechanisms, ultimately to encourage the move from agriculture to industry. Its engagement has, to a degree, been built on its diaspora. India has also coupled economic vectors—highlighting technology transfer and partnerships—alongside aid and trade agreements. The Indian development assistance scheme of 2003, for example, related aid to trade and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), with Indian strategic interests and exports prioritized, given India’s resource crunch and Africa’s potential as a resource-rich continent. This chapter reviews India’s promotion of economic ties through institutional frameworks and looks at recent bilateral trade trends, including some promising sectors for bilateral trade.
KeywordsForeign Direct Investment Southern African Development Community African Nation African Union Preferential Trade Agreement
- African Business Magazine. 2012. Indian Company Take [sic] Firm Grip in Africa. 27 November. http://africanbusinessmagazine.com/special-reports/sector-reports/thepharmaceutical-industry-in-africa/indian-company-take-firm-grip-in-africa. Accessed 21 Feb 2013.
- Broadman, Harry G. 2007. Africa’s Silk Road: China and India’s New Economic Frontier. Washington DC: World Bank.Google Scholar
- Business Standard. 2013. African Media Urges Indian Media to Invest in Continent. 15 November. http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/african-media-urges-indian-media-to-invest-in-continent-113111500271_1.html. Accessed 12 July 2014.
- Ecobank. 2013. India’s Soft Commodity Trade with Africa: Vital Flows. 7 May. http://www.ecobank.com/upload/20130507124126775286SpyNkHjM8m.pdf. Accessed 10 Aug 2014.
- Economic Times. 2014. India Likely to Export 18 Million Tonnes Rice, Wheat in 2013/14: Report. 24 February. http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-02-24/news/47635825_1_top-rice-exporter-global-wheat-pricesgovernment-warehouses. Accessed 16 March 2014.
- India Africa Connect. n.d. “Want India’s Help to Develop Indigenous Technology: African Union.” http://www.indiaafricaconnect.in/index.php?param=news/4079. Accessed 22 Jan 2014.
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MCI) and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). India-Africa Business Partnership Summit. Background paper. http://www.ficci.com/events/20776/ISP/IABP-Background-paper.pdf. Accessed 22 Jan 2014.
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)Economic and Social Affairs (E&SA) Division. n.d., Government of India. India Africa Cooperation on Science, Technology and Innovation. http://ris.org.in/images/RIS_images/pdf/India%20Africa%20Cooperation%20on%20S&T%20&%20Innovation.pdf. Accessed 22 Jan 2014
- Pharmabiz. 2013. India, China cos [sic] fast expanding presence in Africa. 14 November. http://www.pharmabiz.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?aid=79079&sid=21. Accessed 22 Jan 2014.
- South African Regional Poverty Network. 2008. “The Tata-fication of Africa: Indian Corporations Will Drive Innovation and Investment in Africa.” 10 April 2008.Google Scholar
- VanNiekerk, Hugh. 2013. Africa-India Trading Relationship. http://www.tralac.org/files/2013/11/Africa-India-trading-relationship-synopsis.pdf. Accessed 22 Jan 2014.
- World Trade Organization (WTO) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). 2013. India-Africa: South-South Trade and Investment for Development. http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/devel_e/a4t_e/global_review13prog_e/india_africa_report.pdf. Accessed 22 Jan 2014.