Innovations in Microalgal Harvesting Using Biopolymer-Based Approach
Green unicellular microalgae increase their biomass content by the capability of entrapping CO2 for photosynthesis and are crucial for important value product. Negative zeta value is imparted the presence of COOH and NH2 groups. This review will give a detailing toward the forces that are responsible for making alga stable in a solution phase. Beside this, it also explains the various possibilities toward the recent advancement of bioharvesting in terms of technological aspects.
KeywordsAlgal Biomass Calcium Hydroxide Phaeodactylum Tricornutum Scenedesmus Obliquus Flocculate Activity
Dr. Chiranjib Banerjee highly acknowledges Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India for providing financial support as well as project grant from INSPIRE Faculty award scheme.
- Davis NS, Foust OJ (1969) Flocculation of suspensions. US Patent 3,431,200, 1969Google Scholar
- Deryagin BV, Landau LD (1941) Theory of the stability of strongly charged lyophobic sols and the adhesion of strongly charged particles in solutions of electrolytes. Acta Phys Chim URSS 14:633–662Google Scholar
- Mabire F, Audebert R, Quivoron C (1984) Flocculation properties of some water-soluble cationic copolymers toward silica suspensions: a semiquantitative interpretation of the role of molecular weight and cationicity through a “patchwork” model. J Colloid Interface Sci 97:120–136CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu L, Wang F, Li HZ, Hu ZM, Guo C et al (2010) Development of an efficient electroflocculation technology integrated with dispersed-air flotation for harvesting microalgae. J Chem Technol Biotechnol 85:1504–1507Google Scholar
- Yahi H, Elmaleh S, Coma J (1994) Algal flocculation–sedimentation by pH increase in a continuous reactor. Water Sci Technol 30:259–267Google Scholar
- Zhou WG, Cheng YL, Li Y, Wan YQ, Liu YH et al (2012) Novel fungal pelletization-assisted technology for algae harvesting and wastewater treatment. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 167:214–228Google Scholar