A Relative Investigation of TIQ Comparator and Dynamic Latched Comparator
This paper reports the use of threshold inverter quantization (TIQ) comparator as a replacement of the dynamic latch comparator in various Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) designs, memory sensing circuits and so on. The TIQ comparator offers low power, reduced delay and minimum area as compared to the dynamic latch comparator. The TIQ inverter comparator comprises of only four MOS transistors while there are nine MOS transistors in dynamic latch comparator. Thus using TIQ comparator results in better upgraded advanced electronic designs that earlier implemented dynamic latch comparator. Both the designs were simulated using Spectre simulator in Cadence.
KeywordsSupply Voltage Power Dissipation NMOS Transistor PMOS Transistor Clock Comparator
The author would like to thank ITM University, Gwalior for providing us the tools and technology that were required for the work and help us in its completion.
- 2.Heung JJ, Yong BK (2010) A CMOS low-power, low-offset and high-speed fully dynamic latched comparator. In: Proceedings of IEEE ISOCC, pp 285–288Google Scholar
- 4.Rabaey JM, Chandrakasan A, Nikolic′ B (2003) Digital integrated circuits. A design perspective, 2nd edn. Englewood Cliffs, NJGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kapadia DN, Gandhi PP (2013) Implementation of CMOS charge sharing dynamic latch comparator in 130 nm and 90 nm technologies. In: Proceedings of IEEE CICT, pp 16–20Google Scholar
- 6.Rajshekhar G, Bhatt MS (2008) Design of resolution adaptive TIQ flash ADC using AMS 0.35 μm technology. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICED, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 7.Gurjar M, Akashe S (2013) Design low power encoder for threshold inverter quantization based flash ADC converter. Int J VLSI Des Comm Syst (VLSICS), 4(2)Google Scholar
- 11.Veeramachanen S, Kumar AM, Tummala V, Srinivas MB (2009) Design of a low power, variable-resolution flash ADC. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICVLSID, pp 117–122Google Scholar
- 12.Yoo J., Lee D., Choi K, Tangel A (2001) A 1GSPS CMOS flash A/D converter for SOC applications. Proceedings of IEEE computer society workshops on VLSI, pp 135–137Google Scholar
- 13.Mishra SN, Arif W,Mehedi J, Baishya J (2013) A power efficient 6-bit TIQ ADC design for portable applications. In: Proceedings of IEEE international conference on consumer electronics, pp 235–239Google Scholar
- 14.Khot SS, Wani PW, Sutaone MS, Tripathi S (2011) Design of a 45 nm TIQ comparator for high speed and low power 4-bit Flash ADC. ACEEE Int J Electr Power Eng 2(1)Google Scholar