Air Pollution: Short-Lived Climate-Forced Ozone in Urban Areas of Kolkata
The rapid growth in the economy as well as urban population brings us challenges to the venture of maintaining the clean urban air. Urban air quality is a cause of public concern, largely as a result of increased instances of smog and health problems. New pollutants are being increasingly recognised and point to sources, which are of inevitable use in day-to-day modern life. Air pollution sources have grown and so the pollutants. Many of these sources are indices of development. As ubiquitous components in the atmosphere, non-methane volatile organic compounds have received immense attention due to not only their adverse health effects on humans but also because of their role as the precursor of lower tropospheric ozone which eventually leads to urban photochemical smog.
Modern studies on atmospheric photochemistry indicate that ozone mixing ratios at ambient air depend on complex, non-linear, feedback control processes involving NOx and VOC precursor mixing ratio. Hence, control computation is required, adopting mathematical models that include the best representation of the non-linear chemistry as the basis.
KeywordsMass Flux Sorbent Tube Traffic Intersection Total Carbonyl Probabilistic Collocation Method
- Carter WPL (2007) Development of the SAPRC-07 chemical mechanism and updated ozone reactivity scales, Final report to the California Air Resources Board Contract No. 03-318. August. (www.cert.ucr.edu/~carter/SAPRC)
- Cohen J, Prinn R (2009) Development of a fast and detailed model of urban-scale chemical and physical processing. MIT Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change Report no. 181Google Scholar
- CPCB (2009) National ambient air quality standards. cpcb.nic.in/National_Ambient_Air_Quality_Standards.php
- CPCB (2010) Study of urban air quality in Kolkata for source identification and estimation of ozone, carbonyls, NOx and VOC emissions. Control of Urban Pollution Series: CUPS/72/ 20010-11. Central Pollution Control Board (Ministry of Environment & Forests) August, 2010Google Scholar
- Finlayson-Pitts BJ, Pitts JN (2000) In chemistry of the upper and lower atmosphere. Academic, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- USEPA- Compendium Method TO-17 (1999) epa.gov/ttn/amtic/files/ambient/airtox/to-17r.pdf