Breast Pathology: Approach to Handling of Surgical Resection Specimens and Reporting
Close communication between the surgeon, radiologist, and pathologist is essential for appropriate handling of a breast surgical excision specimen. Good fixation of tissue and high-quality processing and optimal standard H&E staining are prerequisites for optimal pathology reporting.
KeywordsSentinel Node Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Axillary Dissection Isolate Tumor Cell Excision Margin
- 1.Cserni G. Axillary staging of breast cancer and the sentinel Node. J Clin Pathol. 2000;53:733–741.Google Scholar
- 2.Feldman S, Krishnamurthy S et al. A Novel Automated Assay for the Rapid Identification of Metastatic Breast Carcinoma in Sentinel Lymph Nodes. Cancer 2011.Google Scholar
- 3.Fitzgibbons PL, Connolly JL, David L, Page DL. Updated Protocol for the Examination of Specimens from Patients With Carcinomas of the Breast, A Basis for Checklists. Arch Pathol Lab Med—Vol 124, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.Hoda SA, Rosen PP. Practical Considerations in the Pathologic Diagnosis of Needle Core Biopsies of Breast. Am J Clin Pathol. 2002;118:101–108.Google Scholar
- 5.Kuerer H. Kuerer’s breast surgical oncology. New York: McGraw Hill Publishers; 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.Lyman GH, Giuliano AE et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology Guideline Recommendations for Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Early-Stage Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:30.Google Scholar
- 7.Madsen EVE, Dalen JV et al. Frozen section analysis of sentinel lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer does not impair the probability to detect lymph node metastases. Virchows Arch. 2012;460:69–76.Google Scholar
- 8.Minimum data set for breast pathology report: www.rcpath.org/Resources/RCPath/…/G/g076tpbreastsept10.pdf.
- 9.O’Malley FP, Pinder SE. Breast pathology. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.Pathology reporting of breast disease, NHSBSP Publication No 58 January 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.Sahin AA, Guray M et al. Identification and Biologic Significance of Micrometastases in Axillary Lymph Nodes in Patients With Invasive Breast Cancer. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009:133.Google Scholar