The Tesla Roadster: Running on Empty?
Technology-intensive product development involves huge up-front investments into research design and development, prototype testing, standardization, and eventual commercialization. Often, such start-up ventures spend several years before they manage to achieve critical mass in sales volumes and to break even on their initial investments. Yet, such ventures are of great interest to equity investors owing to the potential upside that a breakthrough could generate, forcing well-established technology and mature industry players to play catch-up. The Roadster was the first of several electric vehicles (EVs) proposed to be commercially launched by California/Palo Alto-based Tesla Motors. The company had made substantial investments into the design and development of the product and a further few years making losses from the sale of the Roadster.
KeywordsCash Flow Electric Vehicle Initial Public Offering Cash Flow Forecast Lease Data
- Baker DR (2013) Tesla starts roadster buyback program San Francisco Chronicle, 17 Oct 2012, Hearst Communications Inc. http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Tesla-starts-Roadster-buyback-program-3957536.php#ixzz2JNtyMma0. Accessed 1 July 2013
- Eavis P (2013) Electric car maker repays U.S. clean-energy loan early. International Herald TribuneGoogle Scholar
- Hartung A (2013) Why Tesla is beating GM, Nissan and Ford. http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2013/06/28/why-tesla-is-beating-gm-nissan-and-ford/. Accessed 1 July 2013
- Lacey S (2013) Tesla motors repays its government loan in full. Greentech Media. http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/tesla-motors-repays-its-government-loan-in-full?utm_source=Daily&utm_medium=Headline&utm_campaign=GTMDaily. Accessed 1 July 2013
- Leader J (2013) Eco-glossary: Tesla roadster. Mother Nature Network. www.mnn.com. Accessed 28 Jan 2013
- Postelwait J (2013) Spring time for Tesla. RenewableEnergyWorld.com. http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/blog/post/2013/05/springtime-for-tesla?cmpid=SolarNL-Tuesday-May14-2013. Accessed 28 June 2013
- Sweney (2013) Disparities in EV battery philosophy and Tesla’s hidden advantage. www.greentechmedia.com. Accessed 21 Jan 2013
- Taylor A (2013) 9 questions for Tesla’s Elon musk. CNN Money. http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/12/autos/tesla-elon-musk.fortune/index.html. Accessed 30 June 2013
- Wesoff E (2013) Tesla super charger network operable during zombie apocalypse. http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Tesla-Supercharger-Network-Operable-During-Zombie-Apocalypse?utm_source=Daily&utm_medium=Headline&utm_campaign=GTMDaily. Accessed 1 July 2013