Amakhala Wind: Turbulence in the Detail?
Energy generation from intermittent sources such as the sun and wind is faced with inherent resource uncertainty. However, project developers build such uncertainty within their projections and develop their business plans around such assumptions. In most situations, challenges relating to regulatory certainty, optimal pricing, connectivity to the grid, and off-take of the generated electric power are more daunting than the natural factors. The case outlines a situation where South Africa, a resource abundant, power deficient economy, had announced an ambitious program to enhance power generation capacity using cleaner energy technology including solar photovoltaics, concentrating solar power, and wind turbines.
KeywordsCash Flow Wind Turbine Wind Energy Wind Farm World Bank Group
- Amakhala Wind (2013) Summary of Proposed Investment, Public disclosure document posted by the International Finance Corporation (IFC), member World Bank Group. 8 Feb 2013. http://ifcext.ifc.org/ifcext/spiwebsite1.nsf/DocsByUNIDForPrint/829882578D9E6A0685257B0C00631A3E?opendocument. Accessed 9 July 2013
- Amogelang Mbatha (2013) Exxaro, Tata Secure 7 Billion Rand for Two S. African Wind Farms, Bloomberg.com, 12 June 2013. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2013-06-12/exxaro-tata-secure-7-billion-rand-for-two-s-africa-wind-farms.html. Accessed 9 July 2013
- Downing L (2013) Nordex Wins Order From Tata Venture for South African Wind Farm, Bloomberg.com, 17 June 2013. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-17/nordex-wins-order-from-tata-venture-for-south-african-wind-farm.html. Accessed 9 July 2013
- Paul Semple (2013) SA is in Good Stead In Clean Energy Race, The Sunday Independent 26 May 2013. http://www.sapressonline.com/allenzimbler/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Sunday-Independent-26-May-13.SA-is-in-good-stead-in-clean-energy-race.htm. Accessed 10 July 2013
- South African Wind Energy Association (2013) http://www.sawea.org.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120:the-low-cost-of-wind-power-and-how-it-softens-the-eskom-price-impact&catid=11:blog&Itemid=74#. Accessed 10 July 2013Google Scholar
- Sue Blaine (2013) Wind, Solar Power Plants Being Built, Thanks to Policy Certainty, Business Day. 20 February 2013. http://www.bdlive.co.za/business/energy/2013/02/20/wind-solar-power-plants-being-built-thanks-to-policy-certainty. Accessed 10 July 2013
- Susan Kraemer (2013) South Africa PV: Path to a Unique Bidder Market, PV Insider. 9 July 2013. http://news.pv-insider.com/photovoltaics/south-africa-pv-path-unique-bidder-market?utm_source=http%3a%2f%2fuk.pv-insider.com%2ffc_csp_pvlz%2f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PV+ebrief+9+Jul+13+en&utm_term=South+Africa+PV%3a+path+to+a+unique+bidder+market&utm_content=90793. Accessed 10 July 2013Google Scholar