Middle Ear Implants (MEI): Vibrant Soundbridge
The Vibrant Soundbridge® (VSB) is a middle ear hearing implant what was first implanted in 1996 as a treatment for moderate to severe sensorineural hearing loss. In February 1998, the device was approved with the CE mark and in August 2000 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well. Thousands of patients around the world have been implanted with the VSB since 1996. Remarkable patient satisfaction and performance of the device have been reported in scientific publications and presentations. In general, patients who wear the device all day long (up to about 16 h) report a natural sound quality, high device satisfaction, and a better ability to understand speech, especially in noisy environment . Since 2007 the VSB is also approved as a treatment for conductive and mixed hearing loss and in 2009 the VSB got the approval for implantation in children by the EU authorities. The VSB has also proved to be a very reliable device, with a cumulative survival rate of 98.3 % after a period of 105 months.
KeywordsExternal Auditory Canal Round Window Chronic Otitis Medium Oval Window Round Window Membrane
- 1.Luetje CM, Brackman D, Balkany TJ, Maw J, Baker RS, Kelsall D, Backous D, Miyamoto R, Parisier S, Arts A. Phase III clinical trial results with the Vibrant Soundbridge implantable middle ear hearing device: a prospective controlled multicenter study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002;126(2):97–107.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Skarzynski H, Olszewski L, Skarzynski PH, Lorens A, Piotrowska A, Porowski M, Mrowka M, Pilka A. Direct round window stimulation with the Med-El Vibrant Soundbridge: 5 years of experience using a technique without interposed fascia. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014;271(3):477–82. doi: 10.1007/s00405-013-2432-1. Epub 2013 Mar 20.
- 7.Snik AF, Mylanus EA, Cremers CW, Dillier N, Fisch U, Gnadeberg D, Lenarz T, Mazolli M, Babighian G, Uziel AS, Cooper HR, O’Connor AF, Fraysse B, Charachon R, Shehata-Dieler WE. Multicenter audiometric results with the Vibrant Soundbridge, a semi-implantable hearing device for sensorineural hearing impairment. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2001;34(2):373–88.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.McKinnon BJ, Dumon T, Hagen R, Lesinskas E, Mlynski R, Profant M, Spindel J, Van Beek-King J, Zernotti M. Vibrant Soundbridge in aural atresia: does severity matter? Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014;271(7):1917–21. doi: 10.1007/s00405-013-2680-0. Epub 2013 Sep 13.
- 13.Streitberger C, Perotti M, Beltrame MA, Giarbini N. Vibrant Soundbridge for hearing restoration after chronic ear surgery. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord). 2009;130(2):83–8.Google Scholar