Bladder Pain Syndrome
Bladder pain syndrome is the occurrence of persistent or recurrent pain perceived in the urinary bladder region, accompanied by at least one other symptom, such as pain worsening with bladder filling, daytime and/or night time urinary frequency. The symptoms present with no proven infection or other obvious local pathologies. The condition also known as painful bladder syndrome (PBS) and/or interstitial cystitis (IC) is a chronic debilitating condition of uncertain etiology, and both the terminologies have been used interchangeably (PBS/IC). Guy Hunner is credited with the original description of this condition (1915), but it appears to have been described earlier by Nitze et al. In keeping with the current definition, the terminology bladder pain syndrome (BPS) will be used in this chapter, instead of PBS/IC.
KeywordsHyaluronic Acid Pelvic Floor Muscle Interstitial Cystitis Bladder Filling Bladder Epithelium
- 1.Engeler D, Baranowski AP, Elneil S, et al. European Association of Urology guidelines on chronic pelvic pain. European Association of Urology. 2012. http://www.uroweb.org/gls/pdf/24.
- 4.Clemens JQ, Joyce GF, Wise M, Payne CK. Interstitial cystitis and painful bladder syndrome. In: Litwin MS, Saigal CS, editors. Urologic diseases in America. US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 2007. NIH publication no. 07–5512, p. 125–54.Google Scholar
- 6.Hanno P, Baranowski A, Fall M, Gajewski J, Nordling L,Nyberg V, et al. Painful bladder syndrome (including interstitial cystitis). Monaco: International Consultation on Incontinence; 2005. Chapter 23.Google Scholar
- 11.Association of Reproductive Health Professionals. Diagnosis and management of interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome. 2008. Available from URL: http://www.arhp.org/uploadDocs/icpbsqrg.pdf.
- 13.International Association for the Study of Pain. Pain taxonomy. 2012. http://www.iasp-pain.org.
- 17.Moldwin RM, Kaye J. Pelvic floor dysfunction in the painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis (PBS/IC) population. NIDDK International Symposium: Frontiers in Painful Bladder Syndrome and Interstitial Cystitis; 26–27 Oct 2006.Google Scholar
- 27.Hanno PM, et al. Painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis and related disorders. In: Wein AJ, Kavoussi LR, Novick AC, editors. Campbell-Walsh urology. 9th ed. 2007. p. 330–70.Google Scholar