Monitoring of High-Risk Areas: Operating Suite
Operating suites are very high-risk areas which require regular and high-level monitoring for maintaining high standards of safety. The construction of an operation theater involves meticulous planning such that it prevents airborne microbial contaminants from entering surgical wounds.
KeywordsOperating Suite Operation Theater Sterilization Process Infection Control Practice Infection Control Policy
- 1.Working Party Report. Microbiological commissioning and monitoring of O.T. suites. J Hosp Infection. 2002;52:1–28.Google Scholar
- 2.Lidwell OM chair. Joint working party on ventilation in operating suites. Ventilation in operating suites. London MRC and DHSS. 1972.Google Scholar
- 3.NHS Estates. Health Building Note 26. Operating departments. 1991 ISBN 0113213859.Google Scholar
- 6.NHS Estates. Ventilation in healthcare premises, Health Technical Memorandum, vol. 2025. London: HMSO; 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.Harte JA, Molinari JA. Sterilization procedures and monitoring. In: Molinari JA, Harte JA, editors. Cottone’s practical infection control in dentistry. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2009. p. 148–70.Google Scholar
- 8.Nicolette LH. Infection prevention and control in the perioperative setting. In: Rothrock JC, editor. Alexander’s care of the patient in surgery. 14th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 2011. p. 67–8.Google Scholar
- 9.AORN. Recommended practices for sterilization in the perioperative practice setting. In: Perioperative standards and recommended practices. Denver: AORN; 2011. p. 429–85.Google Scholar
- 10.Larson D. Flash sterilization; exposing best practices in 2010. Healthcare Purchasing News. 2010:2–5.Google Scholar
- 16.Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation. Comprehensive guide to steam sterilization and sterility assurance in health care facilities. Arlington; ANSI/AAMI; ST79. 2010. p. 67–90.Google Scholar
- 18.Implement the central line bundle. http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/CriticalCare/IntensiveCare/Changes/ImplementtheCentralLineBundle. Accessed 15 July 2008.