Is the Source of Awareness Present in the Quantum Vacuum?
Awareness appears to be a fundamental aspect of the universe. Since the source of everything in this universe is present in each element of spacetime of the quantum vacuum, it is suggested that the ultimate origin of awareness can also be found in that “bedrock” of reality. A possible ontology of awareness consistent with our current scientific worldview is presented.
KeywordsCosmic Microwave Background Radiation Quantum Entanglement Planck Scale Quantum Particle Quantum Potential
The author wishes to thank Professor Walter Thirring for many helpful discussions.
- Bohm, D., Hiley, B. (1995). The undivided universe (pp. 386). New York: Routledge. Paperback Edition.Google Scholar
- Chalmers, D. J. (1996). The conscious mind: In search of a fundamental theory. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Dyson, F. (1979). Disturbing the universe (pp. 250–251). New York: Joanna Cotler Books.Google Scholar
- Narnhofer, H., & Thirring, W. (2012). Entanglement, bell inequality and all that. Journal of Mathematical Physics, 53, 095210.Google Scholar
- Planck, M. (1931). Quoted in The Observer (25 Jan 1931). Cited in Fussell, J. H. (2003). Where is science going? Review and comment. Theosophical Path Magazine, 295 January to December 1933 (pp. 199).Google Scholar
- Schrödinger, E. (1964). My view of the world (pp. 21). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Stapp, H. P. (2010). Quantum mechanical approach to the connection between mind and brain. Berkeley: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California. http://www-physics.lbl.gov/~stapp/QMA.pdf
- Wheeler, J. A. (1996). At home in the universe (pp. 42). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Wigner, E. (1960, February). Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, 13(1), 1–14. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Wilczek, F., (1999). Getting its from bits. Nature, 397, 306.Google Scholar
- Wilczek, F., (2008). The Lightness of Being (pp. 161). Basic Books, New York, NYGoogle Scholar