Mars Orbiter Mission
In ancient times, the principal Indian languages then referred the planet Mars primarily as Mangala and also with names like Angaraka and Kuja. These names mean auspicious, burning coal (red in colour) and the fair one, respectively. There are various references in different periods of history about Mars but mostly all lead to indicate that the Mars is a god of war.
KeywordsLaunch Vehicle Martian Atmosphere Parking Orbit Mars Orbiter Mars Mission
Author is grateful to ISRO for sharing the information which has been used for the organization of this chapter. This information also includes various photographs which are used for the generation of figures and table in this chapter.
- 1.Sarathi VP. Ancient Indian mathematics and Astronomy. http://www.indicstudies.us/Astronomy/aimword.pdf. Accessed Apr 10, 2013.
- 2.Boonrucksar S. Astronomy in Asia. In: Hearnshaw JB, Martinez P editors. Astronomy for the developing world, International Astronomical Union, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; p. 117.Google Scholar
- 3.Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA). http://www.iucaa.ernet.in/Mission.html. Accessed Apr 10, 2013.
- 4.http://www.astron-soc.in/index.html. Accessed Apr 8, 2013.
- 5.http://www.prl.res.in/. Accessed Apr 7, 2013.
- 6.http://www.iist.ac.in/. Accessed Apr 10, 2013.
- 7.ISRO studying proposal on mission to Mars, the Times of India, Apr 11, 2007 and http://news.oneindia.in/2008/11/23/mission-to-mars-next-ambition-of-isro-madhavan-nair-1227412909.html, November 23, 2008. Accessed Apr 11, 2013.
- 8.Indo-US Space accord paves way for future joint exploration, Mar 16, 2006. http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Indo_US_Space_Accord_Paves_Way_For_Future_Joint_Exploration.html. Accessed Apr 8, 2013.
- 9.HAL delivers Mars orbiter mission satellite structure to ISRO. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/science/hal-delivers-mars-orbiter-mission-satellite-structure-to-isro/article3922481.ece. Accessed Jan 18, 2013.
- 10.Bagla P. India’s maiden mission to Mars later this year, Jan 7, 2013. http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/india-plans-to-launch-mars-mission-later-this-year-314208. Accessed May 3, 2013.
- 11.http://www.isro.org/launchvehicles/launchvehicles.aspx. Accessed Apr 02, 2013.
- 12.http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/What_are_Lagrange_points. Accessed May 2, 2013.
- 13.http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/programmissions/missions/missiontypes/orbiters/. Accessed Apr 15, 2013.
- 14.Wallace TF. An introduction to space mission planning. http://design.ae.utexas.edu/mission_planning/mission_resources/mission_planning/Intro_to_Mission_Planning.pdf. Accessed Apr 28, 2013.
- 15.http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/basics/bsf4-1.php. Accessed Apr 28, 2013.
- 16.Flory JA, Kharoufeh JP. Optimal satellite payload selection and specification. Mil Oper Res. 2010;15(3):43–5.Google Scholar
- 17.http://www.isro.org/pdf/Annual%20Report%202012-13.pdf. p 69, Accessed Mar 30, 2013 and based on the information received for ISRO.
- 18.http://www.isro.org/isrocentres/bangalore_electroopticlab.aspx. Accessed Jan 24, 2013.
- 19.http://www.sac.gov.in/SACSITE/asac-anoverview.html. Accessed May 2, 2013.
- 20.http://www.vssc.gov.in/internet/getPage.php?page=Projects%20Page&pageId=221. Accessed May 2, 2013.
- 21.Ramachandran R. Frontline. 2008;25(24).Google Scholar
- 22.Hawley SA. Mission to Mars: risks, challenges, sacrifices and privileges: one Astronaut’s perspective. J Cosmol. 2010;12:3517.Google Scholar
- 23.Hathwar GR. IDSN story. ISRO, Bangalore: Publications and Public Relations; 2009.Google Scholar
- 24.www.imdchennai.gov.in/northeast_monsoon.htm. Accessed Apr 14, 2013.
- 25.Singh OP et al. Has the frequency of intense tropical cyclones increased in the north Indian Ocean?. Current Sci. 2001;80(4)575.Google Scholar
- 26.http://www.isro.org/satellites/allsatellites.aspx. Accessed Apr 27, 2013.
- 27.http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/26/17107085-comet-just-might-hit-mars-in-2014?lite. Accessed Mar 12, 2013.
- 28.http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Collision_Course_A_Comet_Heads_for_Mars_999.html. Accessed Apr 14, 2013.
- 31.Bagla P. Mars mission: demonstrating India’s technology. http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/science/2012/08/120803_mars_mission_ind_fma.shtml. Accessed Apr 12, 2013.