Multistage Model for Residual Fault Prediction
Software reliability is defined as the probability of failure-free software operation for a specified period of time in a specified environment and is widely recognized as one of the most significant attributes of software quality (Lyu 1996). Over past decades, many software reliability growth models (SRGMs) have been presented to estimate important reliability measures such as the mean time to failure, the number of remaining faults, defect levels, and the failure intensity. Software reliability can be viewed form the two view points—user’s view and developer’s view. From a user’s point of view, software reliability can be defined as the probability of a software system or component to perform its intended function under the specified operating conditions over the specified period of time. From developer’s point of view, the reliability of the system can be measured as the number of residual faults that are likely to be found during testing or operational usage. This study aims to assure software reliability from developer’s point of view.
KeywordsFuzzy Number Fuzzy Inference System Mean Absolute Percent Error Software Reliability Fault Prediction
- Fenton, N. E., & Neil, M. (2000), Software metrics: Roadmap, Proceedings of the Conference on the Future of Software Engineering, (pp. 375–370). Limerick, Ireland.Google Scholar
- Goel, A. L. (1985). Software reliability models: Assumptions, limitations, and applicability. IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering, SE–11(12), 1411–1423.Google Scholar
- Goel, A. L., & Okumoto, K. (1979). A Time-dependent error detection rate model for software reliability and other performance measure. IEEE Transaction on Reliability, R-28, 206–211.Google Scholar
- IEEE (1991). IEEE standard glossary of software engineering terminology, STD-729-991, ANSI/IEEE.Google Scholar
- Kan, S. H. (2002). Metrics and models in software quality engineering (2nd ed.). Reading, MA: Addison Wesley.Google Scholar
- Kumar, K. S., & Misra, R. B. (2008). An enhanced model for early software reliability prediction using software engineering metrics, Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Secure System Integration and Reliability Improvement, (pp. 177–178).Google Scholar
- Lyu, M. R. (1996). Handbook of Software Reliability Engineering. NY: McGraw–Hill/IEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- NASA (2004), NASA metrics data program, http://mdp.ivv.nasa.gov/.
- Pandey, A. K., & Goyal, N. K. (2010). Multistage fault prediction model using process level software metrics. International Journal of Communications in Dependability and Quality Management, 13(1), 54–66.Google Scholar
- Pressman, R. S. (2005). Software engineering: A practitioner’s approach (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Publication.Google Scholar
- PROMISE repository (2007). http://promisedata.org/repository.
- Ross, T. J. (2005). Fuzzy logic with engineering applications (2nd ed.). India: Wiley.Google Scholar