Early Fault PredictionÔ Using Software Metrics and Process Maturity
Development of reliable software is challenging as system engineers have to deal with a large number of conflicting requirements such as cost, time, reliability, safety, maintainability, and many more. These days, most of the software development tasks are performed in labor-intensive way. This may introduce various faults across the development, causing failures in the near future. The impact of these failures ranges from marginal to catastrophic consequences. Therefore, there is a growing need to ensure the reliability of these software systems as early as possible. A model for early prediction of software fault is presented in this chapter.
KeywordsFuzzy Inference System Process Maturity Software Reliability Fuzzy Logic System Fault Prediction
- IEEE (1991). IEEE standard glossary of software engineering terminology. ANSI/IEEE, STD-729–991.Google Scholar
- Musa, J. D., Iannino, A., & Okumoto, K. (1987). Software reliability: Measurement, prediction, and application. New York: McGraw–Hill Publication.Google Scholar
- Kaner, C. (2004). Software engineering metrics: What do they measure and how do we know? In 10th International Software Metrics Symposium, METRICS.Google Scholar
- Pham, H. (2006). System software reliability, reliability engineering series. London: Springer.Google Scholar
- Zadeh, L. A. (1965). Fuzzy sets, information and control (Vol. 8(3) pp. 338–353).Google Scholar
- Ross, T. J. (2005). Fuzzy logic with engineering applications (2nd ed.). India: Willey.Google Scholar
- Gaffney, G. E., & Pietrolewiez, J. (1990). An automated model for software early error prediction (SWEEP). In Proceeding of 13th Minnow Brook Workshop on Software Reliability.Google Scholar
- IEEE (1988). IEEE guide for the use of ieee standard dictionary of measures to produce reliable software. IEEE Standard 982.2.Google Scholar
- NASA (2004). NASA metrics data program. http://mdp.ivv.nasa.gov/.
- Kumar, K. S., & Misra, R. B. (2008). An enhanced model for early software reliability prediction using software engineering metrics. In Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Secure System Integration and Reliability Improvement (pp. 177–178).Google Scholar
- Pressman, R. S. (2005). Software engineering: A practitioner’s approach (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Publication.Google Scholar
- Kumar, K. S. (2009). Early software reliability and quality prediction (Ph.D. Thesis, IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur, India).Google Scholar