Role of IT to Encounter Rising Food Inflation
An analysis of India’s food supply chain, rising inflation, and a suggestion how information technology can be leveraged to become a potential solution to these problems is conceptualized in this chapter. Causes of inflation are analyzed, and among them, the main causes considered are increase in wastage due to inefficient supply chain and farm production not linked to market demand. There is a reference to Canadian Wheat Board, where an efficient supply chain planning and management system has been implemented.
This chapter proposes a solution that leverages information technology in the field of statistical forecasting and supply chain optimization.
KeywordsSupply Chain Food Supply Chain Food Subsidy Supply Chain Model Supply Chain Planning
- David P (2011) Role of CWB in supply chain. http://www.hbra.ca/files/CWB in the supply chain - August 4 2011 (2).pdf. Accessed 28 Oct 2011
- Gopinathan CK (2000) An indirect method of forecasting the annual food production of India. http://drs.nio.org/drs/handle/2264/255. Accessed 4 Nov 2011
- FCI (2010) Annual report 2009–10. http://fcamin.nic.in/AnnualReport 2009-10.pdf. Accessed 28 Oct 2011
- RBI statistical data. http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/AnnualPublications)
- Kaushik B (2010) Economics of food grain management in India. Department of Economic Affairs Working Paper, No. 2/2010-DEAGoogle Scholar
- Ramesh C (2010) Understanding the nature and causes of food inflation. Econ Pol Wkly 45:10–13Google Scholar
- CWB (2011) Annual report 2010–11. http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/about/investor/annual/pdf/2010-11_annual-report_en.pdf. Accessed 28 Oct 2011
- Wadhwa DP (2009) Wadhwa committee report on PDS. http://pdscvc.nic.in/reportoncomputerisationofPDS.htm. Accessed 4 Nov 2011
- Farmer Procurement and Payment Services, CWB (2009). http://www.obsglobal.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/FPPS-Mar2009lowres.pdf. Accessed 21 Dec 2011
- Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, www.cmie.com