A Novel Approach for Prefetching of Web Pages through Clustering of Web Users to Reduce the Web Latency
Web users are experiencing a long latency while retrieving the Web pages due to the amount of network traffic increased with the WWW expansion. Potential sources of latency are the Web servers’ heavy load, network congestion, low bandwidth, bandwidth underutilization, and propagation delay. To solve the latency problem, prefetching technique that predicts the destination pages for user community has become critical to save the communication overhead. Prefetching means fetching of Web pages before the users request them so as to reduce the user perceived latency. A novel Cluster and Prefetch (CPF) approach is proposed in this paper. Experimental results shows that the CPF approach effectively reduces the user perceived latency without wasting the network resources with high prediction accuracy.
KeywordsJoint Probability Density Function High Prediction Accuracy Continuous Random Variable Access Link Page Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Loon, T.S., Bhargavan, V.: Alleviating the latency and bandwidth problem in WWW browsing. In: Proc. of the USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems, USITS 1997 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Ibrahim, T., Xu, C.Z.: Neural Nets based Predictive prefetching to tolerate WWW latency. In: Proc. of the 20th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems. IEEE, Taipei (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Fan, L., Cao, P., Jacobson, Q.: Web prefetching between low-bandwidth clients and proxies: Potential and performance. In: Proc. of the Joint International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, SIGMETRICS 1999, Atlanta, GA (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Markatos, E.P., Chronaki, C.E.: A Top-10 approach to prefetching on the Web. In: Proc. of the 8th Annual Conference of the Internet Society, INET 1998, Geneva, Switzerland (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Padmanabhan, V.N., Mogul, J.C.: Using predictive prefetching to improve WWW latency. Proc. of ACM Computer Communication Review 26(3), 23–36 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Tian, W., Choi, B., Phoha, V.V.: An Adaptive Web cache access predictor using Neural Network. In: Proc. of the 15th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of AI and Expert Systems, Cairns, Australia, pp. 450–459 (2002)Google Scholar