China’s Space Programme
China’s space programme has been one of the most debated programmes in the recent past. Various analysts and academicians have written extensively on different aspects of this programme. This chapter offers a broad overview of the China’s space agenda. China being the most significant space player in Asia, various specifics of their space agenda are being discussed in detail in some of the other chapters of this book too. This chapter only makes brief mention of such space activities to avoid duplication.
KeywordsCommunication Satellite Space Technology Space Programme Orbital Module Manned Space
- 1.Goldstein A. Great expectations. In: Brown M et al., editors. The rise of China. London: The MIT Press; 2000. p. 3.Google Scholar
- 2.Munck R. Globalisation and contestation. New York: Routledge; 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.Zheng Bijian. China’s “Peaceful Rise” to great-power status. Foreign Affairs. September/ October 2005, p. 18–9.Google Scholar
- 4.Handberg R, Li Z. Chinese space policy. New York: Routledge; 2007. p. 1.Google Scholar
- 5.Hu WR. Space science in China. Australia: Gorden and Breach Science Publishers; 1997. p. 15.Google Scholar
- 6.Johnson-Freese J. China’s manned space program. Naval War Coll Rev. Summer, 2003;LVI(3):51.Google Scholar
- 8.Sigurdson J. Technological superpower China. Northampton: Edward Elgar Publishing; 2005. p. 194–5.Google Scholar
- 9.Joan J-F. Scorpions in a bottle. The Nonprolif Rev. Summer 2004;11:173.Google Scholar
- 10.Anatoly Z. China considers big rocket power. 2010 July 26. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10762634. Accessed 24 Jun 2011.
- 11.Lewis JA. China as a military space competitor. Washington, DC: Center for Strategic and International Studies; 2004. p. 9.Google Scholar
- 12.China to launch new solid-fuel rocket. China Daily. 2004 Jan 30.Google Scholar
- 13.Weeden B. China’s BX-1 microsatellite: a litmus test for space weaponization. 2008 Oct 20. http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1235/1. Accessed 24 Jul 2009.
- 14.Sietzen F Jr. From mercury to CEV. Aerospace America. 2005 Feb, p. 29.Google Scholar
- 15.Covault C. Chinese milspace ops. Aviation Week and Space Technology, 2003 Oct 20, p. 26.Google Scholar
- 16.Wortzel LM. Chinese people’s liberation army and space warfare. http://www.aei.org/files/2007/10/17/20071017_SpaceWarfare.pdf. Accessed 15 Jun 2011.
- 17.Barbosa Rui C. Chinese Long March 3B/E launches NigComSat-1R. 2011 Dec 19. http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/12/chinese-long-march-3be-launches-nigcomsat-1r/. Accessed 5 Jan 2012.