West Asia’s Investments in Space Technologies
West Asia (also known as Middle East) is the westernmost portion of Asia. It is a region containing large areas of mountainous terrain and also has major desert regions. Historically, the region is famous for its kingdoms and big cities. Over centuries, the people in various parts of this region are trying to stay independent, but either the invaders or the people within the region have always tried to overpower them. Over the years in this region, the means and methods of power grabbing could have changed, but the basic instinct remains the same. The region has gained importance globally mainly because of the significant availability of the energy sources. During last three to four decades, the region has witnessed few of the major wars fought in the recent history. Presently, the region could be viewed as one of the most unstable regions in the world.
KeywordsSaudi Arabia Communication Satellite Ballistic Missile Earth Observation Satellite Satellite Launch
- 1.Shapir Y. Iran’s efforts to conquer space. Strateg Assess. 2005 Nov;8(3). http://www.inss.org.il/publications.php?cat=21%26incat=%26read=160%26print=1
- 2.Vick CP. Shahab-4: satellite or strategic launch vehicles? GlobalSecurity.org, 2007 Feb 27. http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iran/shahab-4.htm. Accessed 10 Dec 2011.
- 3.Brian H, et al. Emerging space powers. Chichester: Springer/Praxis Publishing Ltd; 2010.Google Scholar
- 4.Ben-Israel I, Kaplan Z. Out of this world: Israel’s space programme. http://www.mfa.gov.il/NR/rdonlyres/A7C494F2-62C2-44BC-8FA1-148D776A67DA/0/ch76.pdf. Accessed 24 Jan 2011.
- 6.Ilani O. Israel ranks fourth in the world in scientific activity, study finds, 2009 Nov 17. http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israel-ranks-fourth-in-the-world-in-scientific-activity-study-finds-1.4034. Accessed 2 Dec 2011.
- 7.Elliman W. Israeli space research. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Economy/spaceres.html. Accessed 12 Dec 2011.
- 8.Koshy N. India and Israel Eye Iran. 2008 Feb 12. http://www.fpif.org/articles/india_and_israel_eye_iran. Accessed 17 Jan 2010.
- 9.Rajiv S. In: Lele A, editor. Space security and global cooperation. New Delhi: Academic Foundation; 2009.Google Scholar
- 10.Opall B. Israel’s ImageSat sheds some legal baggage. 2011 Jan 28. http://www.spacenews.com/earth_observation/110128-settlement-iai-bond-purchase.html. Accessed 12 Dec 2011.
- 11.Shtull-Trauring A. Israel falling behind in space research, warns outgoing agency chief. 2011 Oct 16. http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/features/israel-falling-behind-in-space-research-warns-outgoing-agency-chief-1.390151. Accessed 14 Dec 2011.
- 12.Mohney D. United Arab Emirates builds space resources. 26 Jul 2010. http://satellite.tmcnet.com/topics/satellite/articles/93129-united-arab-emirates-builds-space-resources.htm. Accessed 14 Dec 2011.
- 13.Deulgaonkar P. Virgin Galactic wants Abu Dhabi spaceport. 2011 Feb 01. http://www.emirates247.com/news/virgin-galactic-wants-abu-dhabi-spaceport-2011-02-01-1.349881. Accessed 12 Dec 2011.
- 14.Dinerman T. Turkey’s military satellite program: a model for emerging regional powers. 2007 Jan 2. http://www.thespacereview.com/article/774/1. Accessed 10 Dec 2011.