Space Power Soft Power
Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.
KeywordsForeign Policy Space Technology Space Programme Soft Power Asian State
- 1.Nye Jr JS. Bound to lead: the changing nature of American power. New York: Basic Books; 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.Nye JS Jr. The benefits of soft power. 2004 Feb 8. http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/4290.html. Accessed 21 Jan 2011.
- 3.Hall T. An unclear attraction: a critical examination of soft power as an analytical category. Chin J Int Polic. 2010;3:211.Google Scholar
- 6.Nye JS. Soft power: the means to success in world politics. Cambridge: Perseus Books Group; 2004. p. 11.Google Scholar
- 7.Krige J. Technological leadership and American soft power. In: Inderjeet P, Cox M, editors. Soft power and the US foreign policy. New York: Routledge; 2010. p. 121–36.Google Scholar
- 8.Fedoroff NV. Science diplomacy in the 21st century. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/116385.pdf. Accessed 28 Sept 2011.
- 9.Hane G. Science, technology, and global reengagement. http://www.issues.org/25.1/hane.html. Accessed 15 Aug 2011.
- 10.Nina V. Fedoroff “Science Diplomacy in the 21st Century”, http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/116385.pdf. Accessed on Sept 28, 2011.
- 11.Foust J. Soft power and soft logic. 2007 Apr 23. http://www.thespacereview.com/article/855/1. Accessed 15 Jun 2011.
- 13.Brown T. Soft power and space weaponization. Air Space Power J. 2009;23:1.Google Scholar
- 14.Zhu Z. US-China relations in the 21st century: power transition & peace. London: Routledge; 2006. p. 174.Google Scholar
- 15.Kagan R, Crossick S. China’s global rise: a threat to the U.S. balance of power? 2007 Oct 23. http://carnegieendowment.org/2007/10/23/china-s-global-rise-threat-to-u.s.-balance-of-power/641. Accessed 12 Jul 2011.
- 17.Hu Jintao calls for enhancing “soft power” of Chinese culture. 2007 Oct 15. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-10/15/content_6883748.htm. Accessed 10 Jan 2010.
- 18.Li M, editor. Soft power: China’s emerging strategy in international politics. Lanham: Lexington Books; 2009. p. 1.Google Scholar
- 20.Suzuki S. The myth and reality of China’s soft power. In: Parmar I, Cox M, editors. Soft power and the US foreign policy. New York: Routledge; 2010. p. 210.Google Scholar
- 21.Thompson D. Economic growth and soft power: China’s Africa strategy. China Brief. 1969; 4(24). http://www.jamestown.org/single/?no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=3699
- 22.Sausen TM. The China-Brazil Earth Resources Satellite (CBERS). http://www.isprs.org/publications/highlights/highlights0602/27-28_HL_06_01_CBERS.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2011.
- 23.Amako S. China as a ‘Great Power’ and East Asian integration. 2010 Apr 4. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2010/04/04/china-as-a-great-power-and-east-asian-integration/. Accessed 30 Sept 2011.
- 24.Yardley J. China uses space technology as diplomatic trump card. International Herald Tribune. 2007 May 24.Google Scholar
- 25.Raghavan VR. Soft power in the Asia Pacific. www.delhipolicygroup.com/pdf/soft_power_in_asia_pacific.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2011.
- 26.Covault C. Nigerian Sat Fails. http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=space&id=news/Nigeria111308.xml&headline=Nigerian%20Sat%20Fails. Accessed 15 Jan 2011.
- 27.Carroll R. Bolivia to launch satellite into space. 2010 Feb 12. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/12/bolivia-launch-satellite-space. Accessed 12 Feb 2011.
- 28.Daniel D. China to help Lanka launch satellite. http://www.island.lk/2009/09/26/business1.html. Accessed 26 July 2011.
- 29.Woodsome K. Analysts say China poised to become leader in space. 2010 Apr 21. http://www.voanews.com/english/news/science-technology/Analysts-Say-China-Poised-to-Become-Leader-in-Space-91720434.html. Accessed 5 Oct 2011.
- 31.Lele A. China launches a communications satellite for Pakistan. 2011 Aug 24. http://www.idsa.in/idsacomments/ChinalaunchesacommunicationssatelliteforPakistan_alele_240811. Accessed 25 Aug 2011.
- 32.Rao R. Space technology and soft power. 2009 Dec 10. http://www.ipcs.org/article/india/space-technology-and-soft-power-3025.html. Accessed 24 Jan 2011.