Space Power Soft Power
Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is soft is strong.
KeywordsForeign Policy Space Technology Space Programme Soft Power Asian State
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 1.Nye Jr JS. Bound to lead: the changing nature of American power. New York: Basic Books; 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.Nye JS Jr. The benefits of soft power. 2004 Feb 8. http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/4290.html. Accessed 21 Jan 2011.
- 3.Hall T. An unclear attraction: a critical examination of soft power as an analytical category. Chin J Int Polic. 2010;3:211.Google Scholar
- 6.Nye JS. Soft power: the means to success in world politics. Cambridge: Perseus Books Group; 2004. p. 11.Google Scholar
- 7.Krige J. Technological leadership and American soft power. In: Inderjeet P, Cox M, editors. Soft power and the US foreign policy. New York: Routledge; 2010. p. 121–36.Google Scholar
- 8.Fedoroff NV. Science diplomacy in the 21st century. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/116385.pdf. Accessed 28 Sept 2011.
- 9.Hane G. Science, technology, and global reengagement. http://www.issues.org/25.1/hane.html. Accessed 15 Aug 2011.
- 10.Nina V. Fedoroff “Science Diplomacy in the 21st Century”, http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/116385.pdf. Accessed on Sept 28, 2011.
- 11.Foust J. Soft power and soft logic. 2007 Apr 23. http://www.thespacereview.com/article/855/1. Accessed 15 Jun 2011.
- 13.Brown T. Soft power and space weaponization. Air Space Power J. 2009;23:1.Google Scholar
- 14.Zhu Z. US-China relations in the 21st century: power transition & peace. London: Routledge; 2006. p. 174.Google Scholar
- 15.Kagan R, Crossick S. China’s global rise: a threat to the U.S. balance of power? 2007 Oct 23. http://carnegieendowment.org/2007/10/23/china-s-global-rise-threat-to-u.s.-balance-of-power/641. Accessed 12 Jul 2011.
- 17.Hu Jintao calls for enhancing “soft power” of Chinese culture. 2007 Oct 15. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-10/15/content_6883748.htm. Accessed 10 Jan 2010.
- 18.Li M, editor. Soft power: China’s emerging strategy in international politics. Lanham: Lexington Books; 2009. p. 1.Google Scholar
- 20.Suzuki S. The myth and reality of China’s soft power. In: Parmar I, Cox M, editors. Soft power and the US foreign policy. New York: Routledge; 2010. p. 210.Google Scholar
- 21.Thompson D. Economic growth and soft power: China’s Africa strategy. China Brief. 1969; 4(24). http://www.jamestown.org/single/?no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=3699
- 22.Sausen TM. The China-Brazil Earth Resources Satellite (CBERS). http://www.isprs.org/publications/highlights/highlights0602/27-28_HL_06_01_CBERS.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2011.
- 23.Amako S. China as a ‘Great Power’ and East Asian integration. 2010 Apr 4. http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2010/04/04/china-as-a-great-power-and-east-asian-integration/. Accessed 30 Sept 2011.
- 24.Yardley J. China uses space technology as diplomatic trump card. International Herald Tribune. 2007 May 24.Google Scholar
- 25.Raghavan VR. Soft power in the Asia Pacific. www.delhipolicygroup.com/pdf/soft_power_in_asia_pacific.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2011.
- 26.Covault C. Nigerian Sat Fails. http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=space&id=news/Nigeria111308.xml&headline=Nigerian%20Sat%20Fails. Accessed 15 Jan 2011.
- 27.Carroll R. Bolivia to launch satellite into space. 2010 Feb 12. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/12/bolivia-launch-satellite-space. Accessed 12 Feb 2011.
- 28.Daniel D. China to help Lanka launch satellite. http://www.island.lk/2009/09/26/business1.html. Accessed 26 July 2011.
- 29.Woodsome K. Analysts say China poised to become leader in space. 2010 Apr 21. http://www.voanews.com/english/news/science-technology/Analysts-Say-China-Poised-to-Become-Leader-in-Space-91720434.html. Accessed 5 Oct 2011.
- 31.Lele A. China launches a communications satellite for Pakistan. 2011 Aug 24. http://www.idsa.in/idsacomments/ChinalaunchesacommunicationssatelliteforPakistan_alele_240811. Accessed 25 Aug 2011.
- 32.Rao R. Space technology and soft power. 2009 Dec 10. http://www.ipcs.org/article/india/space-technology-and-soft-power-3025.html. Accessed 24 Jan 2011.
© Springer India 2013