A Refined Open Donor Harvesting to Minimize Follicular Transection
Strip excision is by far the most common method currently used for donor harvesting in hair restoration surgery throughout the world [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]. Although there are many different techniques in strip excision, almost all are blind techniques. The surgeon’s skill and experience are required in keeping the scalpel blade parallel to the hair shaft to minimize transection. What appears to be a straight hair may have the root curved in an unpredictable direction. Hair follicles are arranged not in orderly but in random rows. Even hairs in the same follicle may be found in different planes and angles. The worst scenario is obviously the curly hair where it is impossible to parallel the blade with the hair shaft. Hair transection during blind cutting is inevitable.
KeywordsHair Follicle Dermal Papilla Hair Shaft Layer Closure Open Donor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Unger W (1995) The donor site. In: Unger W (ed) Hair transplantation. Dekker, New York, pp 183–212Google Scholar
- 3.Nordstrom EA (1995) An alternative method of evaluating efficacy of technique. In: Unger W (ed) Hair transplantation. Dekker, New York, pp 67–68Google Scholar
- 5.Haber R, Stough D (1996) Accurate estimation of grafts requirements when using multi-blade knives. In: Haber RS, Stough DB (eds) Hair replacement: surgical and medical. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 138–142Google Scholar
- 6.Limmer BL (1996) Elliptical donor stereoscopically assisted technique. In: Haber RS, Stough DB (eds) Hair replacement: surgical and medical. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 133–137Google Scholar
- 7.Parsley W (2005) Ploneer of the month: Arturo Sandoval Camarena, MD. Hair Transplant Forum 15(6)Google Scholar
- 8.Pathomvanich D (1998) Donor harvesting, a new approach to minimizing transection of the hair follicle: Hair Transplant Forum 8(5):1,4–5Google Scholar
- 10.Stough DB (2006) Tension donor harvesting. Video in Haber R, Stough D (eds) Hair transplantation. Elsevier Saunders, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 11.Arnold J (2002) Harvesting donor tissue in African-Americans. Cyberspace Chat. Hair Transplant Forum 12(4)Google Scholar
- 12.Mayer M (2006) Report on Haber spreader technique at European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery: 9th Annual Congress and Live Surgery Workshop. Hair Transplant Forum 4(127)Google Scholar