Control of Electrical and Optical Properties of Langmuir-Blodgett Films Using Photoisomerization of Azobenzene
Electrical and optical properties of Langmuir-Blodgett (LB) films were controlled using photoisomerization of supermolecules having switching, transmission, and working units. Conductivity switching was observed in single-component LB films of the supermolecules on alternate photoirradiation with UV and VIS light. In the mixed LB films with cyanine dye, J-aggregate formation was induced by photoisomerization of the supermolecule. It was suggested that the signal produced by the molecular deformation could be conveyed to the surrounding molecules, causing the cyanine molecules to form J-aggregate.
KeywordsTrans Isomer Control Light Mixed Monolayer Transmission Unit Switching Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Kuhn, D. Mobius, H. Bucher, Physical Methods of Chemistry, ed by A. Weisserberger, B.W. Rossiter, Wiley Interscience, New York, Vol. 1, Part IIIB, 1972, pp. 577–702.Google Scholar
- Langmuir-Blodgett Films,ed by G. G. Roberts, Plenum Press, New York, 1990.Google Scholar
- A. Ulman, An Introduction to Ultrathin Organic Films: From Langmuir-Blodgett to Self-Assembly, Academic Press, Boston, 1991.Google Scholar
- Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Organized Molecular Films,ed by R. M. Leblanc, C. Salesse, Trois-Revieres, Quebec, Canada, July 4–9, Elsevier, Lausanne, 1993: Thin Solid Films,Vol. 242–244, 1994.Google Scholar
- Molecular Electronic Devices,ed by F. L. Carter, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- R. M. Metzger, C. A. Pannetta, The Quest for Unimolecular Devices, New Journal of Chemistry, Vol. 15, 1991, pp. 209–221.Google Scholar
- M. Matsumoto, H. Tachibana, T. Nakamura, Organic Conductors: Fundamentals and Applications, ed by J.-P. Farges, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- H. Tachibana, R. Azumi, T. Nakamura, M. Matsumoto, Y. Kawabata, New Types of Photochemical Switching Phenomena in Langmuir-Blodgett Films, Chemistry Letters, 1992, pp. 173–176.Google Scholar
- H. Tachibana, F. Sato, M. Matsumoto, in preparation.Google Scholar