Electron-Nuclear Double-Resonance Spectroscopy of Polarons in Conjugated Polymers
Polarons are fundamental nonlinear excitations in conjugated polymers. Spin density distribution of polarons, or their spatial extension in other words, is one of the essential physical quantities that can be used to identify polarons. It is also known that the magnitude of electron correlation sensitively affects the detailed form of spin distribution. In this paper we discuss the electron nuclear double resonance (ENDOR) observation of the polaron in an electroluminescent polymer, poly(paraphenylene vinylene), PPV. Observed spin distribution extends over about 4 phenyl rings in half width and is well described by the theoretical calculation using PPP (Pariser-Parr-Pople) model in the case of finite electron correlation. We also present evidence for the photo-generation of polarons from the light-induced ESR spectra and their excitation profile.
KeywordsSpin Density Hyperfine Coupling ENDOR Spectrum Spin Distribution Spin Density Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.R. Baigent, R.H. Friend, A.B. Holmes and S.C. Moratti, in these proceedings and references there in.Google Scholar
- T. Ohnishi, S. Doi, Y. Tsuchida and T. Noguchi, in these proceedings and references there in.Google Scholar
- L. Yu, So litons and Polarons in Conducting Polymers ( World Scientific, Singapore, 1988 ).Google Scholar
- S. Kuroda, Mt. J. Mod. Phys. B9 (1995) 291.Google Scholar
- K. Murata, S. Kuroda, Y. Shimoi, S. Abe, T. Ohnishi and T. Noguchi, Paper to be presented at 51st Annual Meeting of the Physical Society of Japan, Kanazawa, 1996.Google Scholar
- A. Carrington and A.D. McLachlan, Introduction to Magnetic Resonance ( Harper and Row, New York, 1967 ).Google Scholar
- L. Kevan and L.D. Kispert, Electron Spin Double Resonance Spectroscopy ( John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976 ).Google Scholar
- S. Abe, in these proceedings.Google Scholar
- C. Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics (Wiley, New York, 1966) 3rd ed., Chap. 17.Google Scholar
- Y. Shimoi and S. Abe, Synth. Metals., in press.Google Scholar