Advertisement

European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study: Trial Protocol

  • C. Argentino
  • W. Hacke
  • M. Kaste
  • C. Fieschi
  • ECASS Study Group
Conference paper

Abstract

The European Cooperative Acute Stroke Study (ECASS) is a double-blind, randomized placebo controlled trial of rt-PA (alteplase) in acute ischemic hemispheric stroke in which thrombolysis is initiated 1–6 h following the onset of symptoms. ECASS is an all-European multicenter study, with 14 participating nations. The aim is to assess the efficacy and safety of rt-PA in patients with acute ischemic stroke, by administering a dose of 1.1 mg/kg as follows: 10% of the dosage in bolus intravenously and the remaining 90% in an infusion over a period of 60 min. The total dose must not exceed 100 mg. The activities of daily living, evaluated by means of the Barthel Index [1] and Rankin Scale [2], are the measures of efficacy and represent the primary endpoints. Secondary endpoints are overall mortality and two neurological scales (Scandinavian Stroke Scale [3] and NIH Stroke Scale [4]). The main hypothesis regarding efficacy is the following: there is a difference between the alteplase and placebo groups in activities of daily living defined as a difference of 15 points in the Barthel Index 90 days after treatment. The safety is evaluated on the basis of cerebral hemorrhagic events, global rate of adverse effects, and systematic screening of differences between treated patients and controls in terms of laboratory values.

Keywords

Acute Ischemic Stroke Barthel Index Neurological Exam Randomized Placebo Control Trial Middle Cerebral Artery Territory 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Mahoney FI, Barthel DW (1965) Functional evaluation: the Barthel Index. Maryland State Med J 14: 61–65Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Von Swieten JC, Koudstaal PJ, Visser MC, Schouten HJA, Van Gijn J (1988) Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients. Stroke 19: 604–607PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Lindenstrem E, Boysen G, Christiansen LW, Mansen BR, Wurtzen Nielsen P (1991) Reliability of Scandinavian Stroke Scale. Cerebrovasc Dis 1: 103–107CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Brott T, Admas HP, Olinger CP, Marler JR, Barsan WG, Biller J, Spilker J, Holleran R, Eberle R, Hertzberg V, Rorick M, Moomaw CJ, Walker M (1989) Measurements of acute cerebral infarction: a clinical examination scale. Stroke 20: 864–870PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag Tokyo 1995

Authors and Affiliations

  • C. Argentino
    • 1
  • W. Hacke
    • 2
  • M. Kaste
    • 3
  • C. Fieschi
    • 1
  • ECASS Study Group
  1. 1.I Clinica Neurologica, Department of Neurological SciencesUniversity of Rome “La Sapienza”RomeItaly
  2. 2.NeurologischeUniversitatsklinik im Neuenheimer Feld 400HeidelbergGermany
  3. 3.Department of NeurologyHelsinki University Central HospitalHelsinkiFinland

Personalised recommendations